Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14501 Discussions

I'd like to know if is available a microcode update for intel i5 760 Lynnfield processor and if I can install it on a computer running windows 7 64 bit.

SFrag
Beginner

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The answer is, I believe, "yes but no".

First, according to the microcode guidance document (https://newsroom.intel.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2018/04/microcode-update-guidance.pdf), microcode updates for some Spectre attack vectors were developed and released. These updates supported Intel® Core™ Processors i7-860, i7-860S, i7-870, i7-870S, i7-875K, i7-880, i5-750, i7-750S and i7-760.

Now, Microsoft (at Intel's behest) developed support for the installation of microcode updates during the Windows boot process, but my understanding was that this capability was only included in Windows 10; it was not included in Windows 7. This means that the only way that you will get these microcode updates onto your Windows 7-based system is if the motherboard manufacturer provided a BIOS update that added this microcode. Unfortunately, few (if any) manufacturers chose to do so.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The answer is, I believe, "yes but no".

First, according to the microcode guidance document (https://newsroom.intel.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2018/04/microcode-update-guidance.pdf), microcode updates for some Spectre attack vectors were developed and released. These updates supported Intel® Core™ Processors i7-860, i7-860S, i7-870, i7-870S, i7-875K, i7-880, i5-750, i7-750S and i7-760.

Now, Microsoft (at Intel's behest) developed support for the installation of microcode updates during the Windows boot process, but my understanding was that this capability was only included in Windows 10; it was not included in Windows 7. This means that the only way that you will get these microcode updates onto your Windows 7-based system is if the motherboard manufacturer provided a BIOS update that added this microcode. Unfortunately, few (if any) manufacturers chose to do so.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
SFrag
Beginner

Thanks @n.scott.pearson​  you answer is very clear and useful.

0 Kudos