Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14529 Discussions

I have a legacy intel core 2 duo cpu e6750 processor. It is 32-bit but looks like the motherboard may support an upgrade to 64 bit. How can I be sure. Also, if it is, how do I upgrade to 64 bit?

SLaPl1
Beginner

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You are incorrect; your processor supports 64-bits just fine. Now, whether there is an advantage to going to 64-bits depends upon how much memory you have (i.e. if you have 4GB or less DRAM, it is likely not worth it to upgrade).

How to upgrade? Insert the 64-bit Windows installation media and upgrade your existing setup. Usually it is better to install from scratch; blowing away your 32-bit installation.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
SLaPl1
Beginner

Thank you. Is DRAM different than RAM or physical memory? This is what my memory specs are but as you can see, overall storage is 149 gb. Just making sure. The reason I am interested is that I have software that my laptop used and it's all 64 bit. My laptop hard drive crashed and burned this week so trying to stretch some extra life out of this older desktop that I have. Not sure if I can afford a new laptop at the moment but I really need something for work that I do from home. Thanks again for your help!

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

While DRAM is more correct than RAM, they are essentially synonymous. Regardless, you didn't mention how much you have. If it's 4GB or more, go ahead and upgrade. Remember though, as you add 64-bit addressability, you lose 16-bit addressability, so any older, 16-bit software that you have is not going to work any longer. As I said, better to do install from scratch than to try to upgrade what you have.

...S

0 Kudos