Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

I have a question about purchasing Xeon SP gold 6138

CKang5
Beginner

To whom it concerns,

Hello, this is Chulho Kang, a master at Seoul National University, Republic of Korea.

I have a question about purchasing Xeon SP gold 6138

I confirmed the https://ark.intel.com/products/120476/Intel-Xeon-Gold-6138-Processor-27_5M-Cache-2_00-GHz Spec Sheet. It said this prodcut support only 2666MT/s memory type.

why can I choose only 2666MT/s memory?

In fact, I think I can use 2400MT/s memory with just register modifications.

So I'm wondering why I can select only 2666.

Is it CPU lock issue?

Or are you planning to make it available for future updates or next generations?

Best regards,

- Chulho Kang

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

kbright0912: Thank you very much for joining the Intel® Processors communities. We will do our best in order to try to provide the information you are looking for.

In regard to your inquiry, the reason why you need to use that specific type of memory RAM is because, based on the design of the processor, it requires that exact model to provide a proper performance within the system it is installed. You can always try a different type of memory RAM, but the system will be running out of specifications and some problems might be expected. There is no information about unreleased products so we cannot confirm if this scenario will be different for future generations, let me apologize for that.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Employee

kbright0912: Thank you very much for joining the Intel® Processors communities. We will do our best in order to try to provide the information you are looking for.

In regard to your inquiry, the reason why you need to use that specific type of memory RAM is because, based on the design of the processor, it requires that exact model to provide a proper performance within the system it is installed. You can always try a different type of memory RAM, but the system will be running out of specifications and some problems might be expected. There is no information about unreleased products so we cannot confirm if this scenario will be different for future generations, let me apologize for that.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos