Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

I have an 1151 Strix B360-F motherboard and would like to know if the VRM's as described below support the i9 9900 (65W) at its maximum turbo boost (5GHz) ...

RCune
Novice

Digital 8 +1 phase Power VRM Section controlled with ASP1400BT controller IC with set ON Semiconductor NTMFS 4C06N and 4C10N Power MOSFETS for per phase giving total up to 40A of current handling, 60A Ferrite Chokes, and 10K Black Metallic Capacitors.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
AdrianM_Intel

Hello RCune,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. 

I will further investigate your inquiry, I will update the thread as soon as possible.

Regards,

Adrian M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

AdrianM_Intel

Hello RCune,

I would like to update the thread.

As long as the motherboard supports VRM the processor will support it too however performing any modification or altering voltage frequency through the motherboard might affect the life of any computer component and the motherboard should be responsible for it in case of damage due to voltage changes on the components (example overclocking).

Regards,

Adrian M.

RCune
Novice

Well, thanks for answer...

But the B360 motherboard doesn't overclock, just as well, the i9 9900 non k processor has the multiplier locked, so I can't see how i could make that modification ... I just can't...

0 Kudos
RCune
Novice

The real question is:

The number and quality of the VRM would hold up a 9900 non k which has 65w on base clock ... how many watts does it need to run at its maximum turbo boost?

0 Kudos
RCune
Novice

Sem título.png

0 Kudos
RCune
Novice

In this datasheet (8th and 9th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor Families Datasheet, Volume 1 of 2) does not specify 8 cores / 65w...

Would be 65W * 1,25?? (81,25w) as a 6 cores / 65W???

Sem título.png

Sem título2.png

Source:https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/docs/processors/core/8th-gen-core-family-datasheet-vol-1.html

0 Kudos
RCune
Novice

@AdrianM_Intel I dont know if im right, but I believe my motherboard can handle 120W max (100A * 1,2V), I don't know how many time is TAU set on it to prevent toasted... But if the result follows PL1*1,25, I think the motherboard can hold an 8core/65W...or...it will toast the VRM's... 

Would an octacore i9 9900(non k) consume the same power as the current hexacore i5 8400 on Turboboost (PL2 = 65w * 1.25 theoretically) at the same temperature in the same thermal solution???

I need to know before an upgrade... if i can just remove one and install the other, with no worries, changes and with the same thermal solution....

Sem título.png

PL4?

Sem título.png

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello RCune,

Thank you for your answer.

We recommend you to use the Thermal Design Power (TDP) of 65W based in our datasheet, this is the recommended TDP for this processor if you would like to set up a different temperature we do not support it since this can be considered underclocking/overclocking (We know is not K processor but if the frequencies are changed it can short the processor's life). The processor will use all its features (Max turbo boost, cores, etc) if it's working within specifications 65W.

Note: Based on the comparison I did in our website ark.intel.com both processors have the same TDP 65W Intel® Core™ i9-9900 Processor and Intel® Core™ i5-8400 Processor so even if the amount of cores is different they have the same TDP so you can remove one and install the other however a good guideline is to replace the TIM (Thermal Interface Material) if you reinstall the processor or fan-heatsink. Proper application of the TIM is crucial to the success of the thermal solution.

You can check the comparison link below of both processors:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=191789,126687

Regards,

Adrian M.

AdrianM_Intel

Hello RCune,

Were you able to check the previous post? 

Let me know if you need more assistance. 

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello RCune,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question. 

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
RCune
Novice

Well... I asked several questions above... and you answered if you could exchange for each other, like the question about PL2 * 1,25 that were not answered ... just read above pls ...

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello RCune,

Thank you for your answer.

I will further investigate the datasheet specification (PL2 * 1,25). You can use the processor on and off since the motherboard supports it. load BIOS default settings (any customized configuration can be affected recommended to check this with the OEM) and it should work otherwise we can not support modifying voltage or power settings from a third party motherboard.

Please allow me some time to update the thread.

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
RCune
Novice

@AdrianM_Intel​ THANK YOU

AdrianM_Intel

Hello RCune,

I would like to update the thread.

Intel will update the document and the table that includes info for the 8 cores 65W CPU very soon.

Also, you should not be concerned about this since our recommendation remains that as long as your motherboard claims to be compatible with the Intel® Core™ i9-9900 all you need to do it's to set BIOS defaults and will work.

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos