Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14512 Discussions

I have an overheating i7 6700 processor. It passes all Intel Diagnostics test except Frequency which shows it is throttled back to half speed. This makes it impossible to use for rendering photo images.

JWhit65
Beginner

I have replaced the thermal paste and the fan.

The fail frequency is 1.99 and expected frequency 4.00

Is this a faulty cpu or is there something I can adjust to make this, otherwise, modern computer useful?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello JWhit65,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to have a better understanding of your system environment, could you please provide the following information?

1- Was there any hardware or software, frequency or voltage change prior to the issue? Did the unit work fine before or is it a new built?

2- Please provide Computer case brand and model:

3- Cooling Solution/Fan brand and model (all units you have tried):

4- We would like to check the full Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool report, please run the tool again and save the .txt file.

To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to this thread.

5- Please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread.

5.1- Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

5.2- Open the application and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".

5.3- To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

6- Please provide software name/version used to monitor the temperatures:

Note: To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box.

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
JWhit65
Beginner

Thank you for your reply. Here is the information you have asked for:

1. The only change has been the psu which failed and was replaced with the same model. I built the system in August 2016. I was aware of high temp some time ago but did not realise this was off-set by reducing frequency/performance. It was not an issue because I was not rendering time-lapse images into videos.

2. Phanteks Eclipse P400 Gaming Case

3. Cooling Solution/Fan brand:

Built with: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO CPU Cooler

This was replaced with: Arctic Alpine 12 - Compact Intel CPU Cooler

4. Attached

5. I've attached this txt file but can only see one so I don't know if you have both

6. I am using CAM but have tried various others with similar results: Core Temp 1.15

My son has the same cpu and cooler on his computer and they run cool during rendering.

Regards

John

0 Kudos
JWhit65
Beginner

Yes, I'm sure the other file did not upload so it is here.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello JWhit65,

Thank you for all the information provided.

After checking the reports, we noticed that the current BIOS on the motherboard GIGABYTE® GA-H170-HD3 is version "F4" (from 2015).

On Gigabyte website there are 6 newer BIOS releases, we would like to recommend you to contact GIGABYTE® support for assistance to update the BIOS. The BIOS may include different fixes to help with temperature performance.

The latest BIOS available is F22e, as you can double-check in the below link*:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-H170-HD3-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

If the issue persists after updating the BIOS, please run a CPU Stress Test using Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU). You can run it at default (5 minutes).

Please take screenshots during the test and then upload them in this thread to see the behavior (you can add all the screenshots into a zip file)

Note: To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box.

Andrew G.

*Links to third party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
JWhit65
Beginner

Hi Andrew, Thanks for the response. I have successfully updated the bios but without any change to the heat issue. I have attached a zip folder with eleven screen shots from before to after the stress test.

Regards

John

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello JWhit65,

Thank you for your response.

We have sent you a private message in order to collect contact information.

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello JWhit65,

We would like to know if you were able to check the private message.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
JWhit65
Beginner

Hi Andrew,

Yes, thank you, I got your message. Getting to the product codes is a bit of a struggle so I have waited until the week end and will send them on Monday.

Regards

John

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello JWhit65,

Thank you for your response. We will be looking forward to receiving your message with the details requested.

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello everybody,

In case you experience the same overheating issue (or similar) as the one described in this thread, and if the problem persists after trying the previous troubleshooting steps, we recommend you to contact us directly through our different channels of support: phone, chat.

Please refer to Contac Support, change to your country or proper region at the top-right icon, then click on "Intel Processors" under What type of product do you need help with? You will be presented with the available contact methods.

We will proceed to close this inquiry.

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos