Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

I have i5-4460, and i was thinking about buying xeon 1231v3

LSalo
Novice

I cant figure out if xeon 1231 v3 is worth to buy, if i have i5-4460. My processor is getting kinda slow and i need a new one. Is it worth upgrading to xeon 1231 v3? I use my pc to play video games.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You need to ask your motherboard manufacturer which processors are compatible with THEIR BIOS.

Then you can select from those.

Doc

0 Kudos
LSalo
Novice

Hello! Thanks for answering my question! Xeon 1231 v3 comes with an additional motherboard that is compatible with the xeon processor, i was just thinking that is the xeon processor that much more powerful that i should pay 200$ for it, and 24gb ram and the motherboard

LSalo
Novice

This is what i would get ((Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 + Xeon 1231v3 + Kingston 24Gb DDR3 1600mhz)) VS what i have now ((i5-4460 + 8gb of ram + and an old motherboard that has zero ports))

0 Kudos
AGate
Beginner

The Xeon is worth the money IMO. It will do better than the 4460 in games, as well as doing much better in video editing. It's basically a 4770 without an iGPU. Xeon has hyperthreading, so it's automatically better for most tasks imho. Single thread, the i5 MIGHT win, but I don't know their respective clocks and the difference is marginal. Xeon is basically a non-K i7, and I myself will probably get one soon.

Regards,

Adrian

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

LSalo, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to your questions about games, we actually recommend to use the Intel® Core™ i5-4460 processor over the Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1231 v3 for gaming, based on the fact that it has its own graphics controller which is Intel® HD Graphics 4600.

If you are planning to use the Intel® Xeon processor you will need to purchase an external video card and that component will be actually the one that will support everything related to graphics for this platform.

In the following link you will be able to see the specifications for both Intel® processors for you to compare them:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=80910,80817

Just to let you know, the Intel® Xeon processor was designed to work within a Server environment, for multitasking, not that much for gaming.

Additionally, the Intel® Core™ i5-4460 processor is not that new, it is actually Discontinued, so there might be compatibility problems with some games and with as well as with some newer hardware components.

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician   

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

LSalo, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

LSalo, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, just reply back or post a new question.

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos