Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14509 Discussions

I have issue with intel i3 3220 processor

Sandro
Beginner

Hello, as i know usually i3 3th gen has 2 cores and 4 threads but my cpu has 1 cores and 2 threads. can u please tell me why and if there is option to fix this problem if its. thank you

Sandro_0-1596634890657.png

3 Replies
AlHill
Super User

I would first try updating your motherboard bios.

Doc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

There are three possibilities:

1. The BIOS is configured to only expose one Core. Where and how this is exposed is board-specific and you need to talk to your board manufacturer if you cannot find where this is configured.
  2. Windows is configured to only use one Core. See this article for information on how to configure this: How to Set the Number of Cores in Windows.
  3. Your second Core is broken and not working. Sadly, this can happen; I have seen it before.

Hope this helps,

...S

HadiBrais
New Contributor III

How would one know which cores are broken on a multi-core processor? For example, let's say we have a processor with 8 cores where cores #2 and #5 are broken, what tool can be used to show this? I imagine the boot-time POST test itself determines which cores work properly and if any core fails the test, it would show some message (which I guess maybe accessible later by the OS).

0 Kudos