Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14506 Discussions

I have purchased the 7820x and it seems to do weird things

sshat
Beginner

Hello, I have purchased the 7820x and it seems to do weird things.

I am getting intermittent behavior in some ways. Particularly strange is when I have the intel power gadget open, the processor seems to be clocking really large processing frequencies when opening basic things like another tab in google chrome. Don't understand why this would be the case. In other words, seems like I have a robust processor, but as I run only the minimal apps, it seems like it is heating up and clocking high frequencies for relatively basic things. In otherwords, I don't think the processor should be working this hard for simple digital painting in photoshop while also simply having adobe bridge open.

Also, I just seem to get a lot of strange behavior in all kinds of directions. seems a little eratic.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello fauntailjabuti

Thank you for contacting the Intel Communities. I would be more than welcome to assist you with this matter since I understand this unit should be working as expected, so let's gather up some data, do some troubleshooting and then proceed accordingly to look for a possible solution.

Please be aware I created a new thread for your question because it was a different scenario from the post you commented on.

This is the data that I would like to get:

• Attach the Intel® System Support Utility report from the computer with the problem
  • How are you monitoring the CPU frequency at this point?
  • Could I get some screenshots of that CPU frequency you mentioned?
  • Also, could I get some screenshots of the temperatures reached while that happens?

Something that can be done to troubleshoot this scenario at this point:

Please let me know how it goes.

Thanks,

Esteban C
idata
Employee

Hello fauntailjabuti

This is to follow up on your case and find out if you were able to check my previous answer.

Thanks,

Esteban C
sshat
Beginner

Hi esteban, thank you so much for your help in this matter. As a freelancer, I lead a life with high degree or change in relatively short periods of time and unfortunately, have not had a moment to resume my progress on this issue. Thank your for your willingness to work with me on this and your patience.

So, I have been monitoring the performance of the machine as it interacts with various needs I put it through. I have been monitoring CPU performance with the Intel Gadget and the performance monitor in windows. I've also been monitoring the CPU temperatures with the Corsair Utility engine and the Intel Gadget. Today, I saw some rather disturbing data as my CPU temperature were reaching 103, 104 and 105C. There is really no explanation on my end for this. I had Photoshop open, Modo (3d Modelling Software) and Adobe Bridge open. All apps were not running anything large that would explain this overheating. The 3d model, for instance, that I was working on had less than 300 poly's. This is a beyond minimal amount of poly's that hardware like mine should be capable of running. Otherwise, I simply would not have purchased this CPU.

Here are my other specs:

Voltage: 1.25 vo

CPU: I7-7820X @ 3.6ghz

M/B: Asus Prime X299 Deluxe

RAM: G.SKILL, TridentZ, Series 64GB (4x16GB sticks) DDR4, SDRAM 3600

SSD: INTEL SSD 750 Series Connected through PCIE

VGA: Asus GeForce 1080Ti

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 V2 Extreme

PSU: Corsair RM 1000i

Here are some other obserrvations:

I was replying to another email from intel but figure I'll include it here:

Yes I am still experiencing odd behavior on my machine. I put a lot of money into this machine to help me with my professional graphics needs. I'm a digital painter who bought this processor to use Primarily with photoshop and adobe bridge. I also use 3D apps such as modo. I don't really understand what it's happening but I am getting the following behavior:

-extremely hot temperatures are being displayed in the intel gadget when I have adobe photoshop, bridge and modo open. I should note that in all of these apps, they either don't have files running on them or the files are fairly rudimentary and should not be taxing the machine for any reason. In other words, it's working abnormally hard for no discernible reason. You might be inclined to consider the graphics card as being the issue. It's a brand new 1080ti card.

- the graphics card controller cannot be identified or accessed in the utilities folders. Something fishy is going on there and I don't really know what that is or can be. A certified Microsoft technician made some mention it may have been my installation of windows on the machine that could have been the issue but I don't see why this would be the case as I purchased a fresh copy straight from Microsoft via USB stick. I'm still dubious that this technician has the proper diagnosis.

- I still get occasional strange boot behavior. Sometimes opens strangely, and the computer seems like it's working extra hard for no apparent reason.

-upon using the shut down command, the computer

Monitor will shut down and the OS will shut down. The computer will continue to continue work extremely hard and I can feel it getting pretty hot inside. This is just baffling.

- running 3 monitors seems to overheat the computer and impair functionality. Again, don't understand why this is happening. I have exceptional hardware, notably a top notch graphics, not to mention other exceptional specs. Again, this seems like it should be a breeze for this rig.

-overall, I'm still fairly disappointed with the performance I was hoping to see from this machine. It seems like it has a hard time running only one program let alone a few at the same time. I was hoping it would be a workhorse capable of meeting the rigors of my professional graphics needs. Instead, it seems rather lackluster and requires a bit of attention.

Thanks for your inquiry and time into this matter.

0 Kudos
sshat
Beginner

Hi Esteban,

Below is my SSU scan. also this link does not seem to have a download tool but instead shows me to many links for what look like help tickets from other intel users?

# SSU Scan Information

Scan Info:

Version:"2.5.0.12"

Date:"11/21/2017"

Time:"00:00:29.4058591"

# Scanned Hardware

Computer:

BaseBoard Manufacturer:"ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC."

BIOS Mode:"UEFI"

BIOS Version/Date:"American Megatrends Inc. 0802 , 09/06/2017 12:00 AM"

CD or DVD:"Not Available"

Embedded Controller Version:"255.255"

Platform Role:"Desktop"

Processor:"Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7820X CPU @ 3.60GHz , GenuineIntel"

Secure Boot State:"Off"

SMBIOS Version:"3.0"

Sound Card:"NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)"

Sound Card:"High Definition Audio Device"

Sound Card:"NVIDIA High Definition Audio"

System Manufacturer:"System manufacturer"

System Model:"System Product Name"

System SKU:"SKU"

System Type:"x64-based PC"

- "Display"

Intel ® Graphics Driver Version:"Not Available"

- "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti"

Adapter Compatibility:"NVIDIA"

Adapter DAC Type:"Integrated RAMDAC"

Adapter RAM:"4.00 GB"

Availability:"Running or Full Power"

Bits Per Pixel:"32"

Caption:"NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti"

CoInstallers:"nvdispgenco6438813.dll,NvGenericCoInstall,nvdispco6438813.dll,NVDisplayCoInstall"

Color Table Entries:"4294967296"

Dedicated Video Memory:"Not Available"

Driver:"nvlddmkm.sys"

Driver Date:"10/26/2017 05:00 PM"

Driver Path:"C:\Windows\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_f936d37e592b25aa\nvlddmkm.sys"

Driver Provider:"NVIDIA"

Driver Version:"23.21.13.8813"

INF:"oem67.inf"

INF Section:"Section136"

Install Date:"Not Available"

Installed Drivers:"C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_f936d37e592b25aa\nvldumdx.dll,C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_f936d37e592b25aa\nvldumdx.dll,C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_f936d37e592b25aa\nvldumdx.dll,C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_f936d37e592b25aa\nvldumdx.dll,C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_f936d37e592b25aa\nvldumd.dll,C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_f936d37e592b25aa\nvldumd.dll,C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_f936d37e592b25aa\nvldumd.dll,C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_f936d37e592b25aa\nvldumd.dll"

Last Error Code:"Not Available"

Last Error Code Description:"Not Available"

Last Reset:"Not Available"

Manufacturer:"NVIDIA"

Microsoft DirectX* Version:"DirectX 12"

Monochrome:"No"

Number of Colors:"4294967296"

Number of Video Pages:"Not Available"

PNP Device ID:"PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1B06&SUBSYS_85EA1043&REV_A1\4&30C250C0&0&0000"

Power Management Capabilities:"Not Available"

Power Management Supported:"Not Available"

Refresh Rate - Current:"59 Hz"

Refresh Rate - Maximum:"75 Hz"

Refresh Rate - Minimum:"23 Hz"

Resolution:"2560 X 1600"

Scan Mode:"Noninterlaced"

Service Name:"nvlddmkm"

Video Architecture:"VGA"

Video Memory:"Unknown"

Video Processor:"GeForce GTX 1080 Ti"

- "Memory"

Physical Memory (Available):"59.23 GB"

Physical Memory (Installed):"64 GB"

Physical Memory (Total):"63.68 GB"

- "NODE 1"

Capacity:"16 GB"

Channel:"DIMM_A1"

Configured Clock Speed:"3200 MHz"

Configured Voltage:"1200 millivolts"

Data Width:"64 bits"

Form Factor:"DIMM"

Interleave Position:"Noninterleaved"

Manufacturer:"G-Skill"

Maximum Voltage:"Not Available"

Memory Type:"Unknown"

Minimum Voltage:"Not Available"

Part Number:"F4-3600C17-16GTZKK"

Serial Number:"00000000"

Type:"Synchronous"

- "NODE 1"

Capacity:"16 GB"

Channel:"DIMM_B1"

Configured Clock Speed:"3200 MHz"

Configured Voltage:"1200 millivolts"

Data Width:"64 bits"

Form Factor:"DIMM"

Interleave Position:"Noninterleaved"

Manufacturer:"G-Skill"

Maximum Voltage:"Not Available"

Memory Type:"Unknown"

Minimum Voltage:"Not Available"

Part Number:"F4...

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello fauntailjabuti

Thank you for the answer provided, for sure I understand the limited time can be something that can affect the time taken to answer these questions, no need to worry.

The temperatures faced with the tasks mentioned don't match, so there must be something wrong with the system, hardware-wise or even software-wise.

I would like to check some data/steps to be done:

• Have you tested the system with a single program running? (from the ones mentioned)
  • Have you tested the system with a single monitor running? Since it was mentioned, it would be good to check
  • Have you tested the system with default settings related to voltage or Overclocking?

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
sshat
Beginner

Hi Esteban,

I've been running tests over the last few days. A few patterns seem to emerge. They are the following:

1. CPU activity seems to spike to relatively high levels when I (1) don't have any apps open and its just the OS (2) move a explorer/ finder window around. Its not threatening to the CPU but it certainly seems strange that I see the processor performance spike to close to roughly 4.0 ghz. for something so basic. Just doesn't seem right.

2. Upon running two monitors, I've noticed the whole system just does not run as smoothly as it does on one monitor. On one monitor, its really solid, which is nice. Its little tactile response times that seem significantly better with one monitor instead of two. Unfortunately, this is not a feasible solution for me as I am a high end graphics professional working on hi status projects with obscene expectations placed upon me. I need every inch of screen real estate possible.

3. Running Modo (3D Application) on one or two monitors, modeling functions seem to be working fine. When it comes to rendering, however, the CPU frequency clocks in at roughly 4.3 ghz and the heat skyrockets to temperatures between 99-105C. Whats most alarming is that the hardware/ software is not discerning the difference in workload between large complicate scenes vs. simple and small ones. So, for instance, I have a basic sphere with a plane in the background and the CPU seems to be overheating the same way it is with a larger more complex scene. This is kinda inexcusable at this point. I mean, its terribly concerning and it makes me think I've purchased the wrong product. I thought this was a processor built more for visual professionals like myself. I'm afraid its going to fry itself, my mobo and my hydrocooler.

4. I've not been overclocking at all.

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Thank you for reporting back, fauntailjabuti

At this point, I believe it would be good to reach our support team by phone, email or chat. This is to set up a replacement for your product, it may be faulty, due to the troubleshooting/results faced so far, that may be an option since as you said, it is not a normal behavior.

This is the main page of support: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html Contact Support

There you can select processors and then select one of the options mentioned above (phone, web service or chat)

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos