Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

I have the i7 7700 4.2 chipset - Inside a laptop - I get consistant spikes at 94c to 97c - what to do? is this normal?

WSmit9
Beginner

I have the i7 7700 4.2 chipset - Inside a laptop - I get consistant spikes at 94c to 97c - what to do? is this normal?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Employee

Hello, studiosboy.

Thank you very much for sharing your issue with the Intel® Communities Team.

I understand you are facing some thermal problems with the Intel® processor on your laptop. Allow me to help you regarding this issue you are facing.

In this case, by checking the https://ark.intel.com/products/97128/Intel-Core-i7-7700-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_20-GHz specifications of the Intel® Core™ i7-7700, the Tjunction (Maximum temperature supported by the processor) is 100C so, your processor is not overheating with those spikes.

In the case that you are overclocking your processor, these results are expected; remember that the risk of overclocking is too great and the results may vary.

In addition, you can verify if there is a BIOS update you can perform on your system. Also, you can check the BIOS settings to verify if there is any feature that is changing the processor's frequency; you can set those settings as default as well.

Furthermore, make sure to verify that the fan of your laptop is working properly and nothing is blocking the airflow.

You can always double check with your system manufacturer if there is any other troubleshooting step for your system.

Antony S.
0 Kudos