Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14505 Discussions

I'm getting higher CPU speeds than I should be (I7-9800X)

Rollir025
Beginner

I have owned the (LGA-2066) Intel i7-9800X X-Series CPU for a few months now and it's been working flawlessly at everything I throw at it.

However I am having an "issue?" where all my Hardware Monitoring software is reporting it sometimes gets to 7.5Ghz, I have not done any Overclocking on the CPU and the Turbo Boost Speed is 4.4GHz (4.5Ghz on the 1st Core) but all the Software i use to monitor it says for a few seconds it goes all the way up to 7.5Ghz on all cores

https://gyazo.com/e056d2898d859bf22575fbfbcbaf7ced

Above is a link to a screenshot I have just taken

Notes that may be of use:

-Power Supply is Corsair RMx 750W Gold 80+

-CPU Cooler is Arctic Freezer 12 CO

-RAM is Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO @3200MHz 4x8GB (32GB Total) (XMP enabled)

-Windows 10 Pro x64

-Motherboard is ASUS TUF X299 Mark II

If needs be I can provide screenshots of the other software's I use to show that they also report the same thing.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @Rollir025

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to check this further, could you please provide the following information and reports using Intel's tools. This way we can compare the outcomes since we can neither guarantee the proper functionality of third-party applications nor we can debug those apps.

1- Please try these tests when you see the behavior reported on the other apps and take screenshots from Intel's apps:

1.1- Open Windows® Taks Manager and monitor CPU frequency ("Speed") on the "Performance" tab.

1.2- Run the Intel® Processor Identification Utility and check the Processor Frequency ("Reported" and "Expected"). Click on File > Save to save the report.

1.3- Run the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) and refer to the "System Information" tab to monitor CPU frequency.

2- Please run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and attached the report to this thread. The purpose of the this tool is to verify the functionality of an Intel® microprocessor. You can download the proper version (32 or 64 bit) from the below link:

To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply.

3- Please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread to gather more details about your system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

Note: To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

4- We would like to know if you have noticed this behavior from the very first day that you have this system? Or was it only showing up recently? If this is a recent behavior, was there any recent change? (Hardware, Windows® Updates, Software/drivers?).

5- Finally, feel free to share screenshots of the other software that you used to see the behavior.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Rollir025
Beginner

Hi Andrew,

I have attached the required files to this Reply, Hopefully you can see if anything is wrong, it only happens on occasion.

To answer the question about if it has happened since owning this CPU, it has, however I have not (yet) noticed any instability on the CPU so as far as I know I have nothing to worry about but I thought I would make sure I would not get any future issues (If any).

Thanks,

Richard

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Rollir025

Thank you for your response and for the reports provided.

Please allow us to check this further and we will be posting back in the thread as soon as more details are available.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @Rollir025

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

It is good to know that you haven't noticed any instability on the CPU so far. However, we would like to update this thread to explained and recommend the following since we noticed that the memory RAM is running at 3200MHz with Intel® XMP.

It is worth mentioning that enabling Intel® XMP, and using it beyond the given specifications for the processor is also considered a type of overclocking (overclocking of the Processor's Memory Controller). The Memory Type supported by the Intel® Core™ i7-9800X X-series Processor is DDR4 at 2666MHz.

When one uses an XMP profile, it changes the frequencies and possibly the voltages of the memory controller, which is internal to the CPU. Altering clock frequency or voltage may damage or reduce the useful life of the processor and other system components and may reduce system stability and performance. Product warranties may not apply if the processor is operated beyond its specifications.

Having said that, we have the following recommendations for you:

1- Set everything back to defaults in the BIOS to check if you see the same behavior. Or at least, try another Intel® XMP memory profile that sets the RAM speed to a value that is supported by the processor. (max is 2666MHz).

2- Once the RAM is running within specifications, check and monitor the behavior using the third-party tools. It would be good if you could clean the previous logs or records from those apps so you can have new monitoring information. You may need to contact their support team for instructions on this step.

3- You can also test again the processor with the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool, Intel® Processor Identification Utility and Intel® XTU.

4- Please remember to include the screenshots previously requested in case you see this behavior again. For instance, screenshots from Windows® Taks Manager > "Performance" tab and from Intel® XTU) "System Information" tab.

Please let us know that the behavior is or if you have additional concerns.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Rollir025

We would like to know if you were able to review our previous post. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you need further assistance or if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @Rollir025

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos