Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14514 Discussions

I need to help identifying the source of the default clock ratio being 8300mhz

EHarr3
Beginner

The default bios settings have 8300mhz as the default clock. The assumed suspects; motherboard and/or cpu. (ASRock z390m-itx/ac and core i5-9600KF) you’ll notice the 3rd party info page calls my chipset a cannon lake z390 my guess is ASRock were expecting 10nm.........

Intel monitoring software XTU also... I had to adjust bios to post(you assumed correctly :) ... when I check XTU default profile it shows 83.000 x on every core (guess I got a 14nm++^+...(^= to the power of)) Changed cpu to Ark spec having experience with basic bios settings it’s “not” unusable or unstable at Arks default spec. Though limited in ability to run true default turbo speed shift etc. I’m hoping The reply’s are reassuring as fine print and pop ups unread may say I forfeited rma of one or both components changing bios to post to trouble shoot,, also if possible to return to new egg due to the defect either or both components vs RMA(?) either or both components which option would leave me without a pc for the shortest period.

Latest bios,,

latest drivers,,

compatible components,,

up to date win10pro/then(separately) serv.2019

troublsooting tips not sought unless this is a known issue with known fix.

Thanks a ton, sorry for being pre reply salty.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee
EHarr3, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support. Just to let you know, some models of motherboards have a setting in the BIOS that is enabled by default and that overclocks the processor base frequency, the Intel® Core™ i5-9600KF has 3.70 GHz of clock speed and 4.60 GHz when Max Turbo Frequency gets activated as you can see here: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/190884/intel-core-i5-9600kf-processor-9m-cache-up-to-4-60-ghz.html So, the best thing to do will be to get in contact directly with ASRock for them to verify the settings in the BIOS and make sure there is nothing in there forcing the processor to run at speeds it does not support: https://www.asrock.com/support/ Once you do that please install the Intel® Processor Diagnostics Tool, it will run a test on the unit and it will provide a report where you will be able to verify the clock speed detected, if it passed the test it should be working fine: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool In reference to the question about the warranty, normally, most of the stores have a 30 day warranty period for replacement on their products, but you will need to check that information directly with the place of purchase, depending which product is the one that got defective, that will be the fastest way in the case there is a hardware failure with any of the components of your platform. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
EHarr3
Beginner
I Attained a new motherboard and the issue didn’t follow, The CPU ran great and now runs outstandingly on this motherboard. It was unaffected if I ran manual settings, it was only a concern as I was worried it could make software based Overlocking programs that may apply the “default” settings upon opening and cause system to crash,, more a nuisance then a worry of damage I think; I’m confident some safety measure or power limitations would of prevented harm, and/or prevented its ambitious 8.3GHz dreams. Thanks again, Evan Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee
EHarr3, You are very welcome, thank you very much for letting us know those results. Perfect, excellent, it is great to hear that you were able to replace the motherboard and now the processor and computer are working properly. Yes, there are safety measures in reference to the damage caused by overclocking, one of the most common symptoms of doing that is overheating. The Intel® processors have a feature for that type of scenario and if that happens the computer will go off automatically to prevent any damage to the processor or to the other components in the system. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos