Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

I recently bought an i9 9900k k. When I install it the computer turns on then immediately turns off. Could this be a compatibility issue with the motherboard? If so do I need a new motherboard?

JKhan17
Beginner

My i7 6700k works perfectly fine after re installing it. The motherboard I use is a standard Hp omen X motherboard.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Here are a couple of articles that present options, reviews and opinions:

The best motherboards will have the Z390 chipset. I would go with one of those even if you are not going to attempt any overclocking. If you are on a budget, choose a motherboard with the H370 chipset and avoid any with the B365 chipset (I am not a lover of the B chipsets). Even though some are compatible, I would not use any motherboard with an older generation chipset.

...S

View solution in original post

4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Not only does the new processor require a new motherboard, it will also require new DDR4 memory.

...S

0 Kudos
JKhan17
Beginner

Thanks, any recommendations on a good motherboard that fits the criteria?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Here are a couple of articles that present options, reviews and opinions:

The best motherboards will have the Z390 chipset. I would go with one of those even if you are not going to attempt any overclocking. If you are on a budget, choose a motherboard with the H370 chipset and avoid any with the B365 chipset (I am not a lover of the B chipsets). Even though some are compatible, I would not use any motherboard with an older generation chipset.

...S

JKhan17
Beginner

Thanks so much for the help, I was thinking of this motherboard. MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC Motherboard mATX, LGA1151, DDR4, LAN, 802.11AC WIFI, USB 3.1 Gen2, Type-C, M.2, RGB Mystic Light, HDMI, Display Port, Intel 8th and 9th Gen https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HSBF397/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_WxhWEbJEGXC50.

Im pretty sure this would work although I am kind of a beginner at this. Thanks again

0 Kudos