Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14530 Discussions

I use an Intel m3-8100y processor. What temperature do you recommend for prolonged use?

RSchi13
Beginner

When I play I go above 80 C. I can adjust the tjoffset to keep the temperature under control by reducing the frequency. What value do you recommend setting?

The processor is mounted in a small 7-inch laptop, a GPD Pocket 2. Although I have changed the thermal paste I have not been able to work miracles, because the heatsink is very small. Being used to the processor of my desktop PC, which never exceeds 65 degrees under load, I don't know if a processor can work safely for long periods, at temperatures above 80 degrees. In the Intel specifications relating to the 8100y model I read that it can even go up to 100 degrees but, as I often play for a few hours, keeping the temperature fixed at over 80 degrees, I would like to ask you if it is better to reduce the frequency to have a temperature lower.

I don't know if it is a limitation of my laptop but, even increasing the tdp and lowering the tjoffset value, the frequency never exceeds 2700 mhz under load, when in theory this model should reach 3400 mhz. I don't know if it's normal but that's okay, because on this laptop I would never be able to handle such a high frequency.

Thanks a lot to everyone.

I wrote in English, but I speak Italian.

Raffaele

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Gh0stb1t
New Contributor I

There are no average temps for CPUs as this depends on every scenario and use case.

You are not supposed to see the processor running all the time at 3.40GHz as this is the Max Turbo Frequency, which is ONLY enabled when conditions allow it (cooling design, workload, heat, power consumption, etc.). There are cases when you cannot reach that no matter what you do, but only a lower Max Frequency, that is not an issue and is expected for this technology. Even setting higher TDP to 8W, the base frequency for the processor is 1.60GHz, and if you are getting 2.7GHz then it is working fine based on those facts.

And since the processor has a Max Temp limit of 100C, then running for long periods of time at 80C should not cause issues nor be a problem, CPUs are designed with these scenarios in mind. As for recommendations, just keep well maintenance of your system and monitor it is not throttling under 100C, and make sure it never goes above the Max Temp in the specifications.

I have an old laptop (6 years old) and I used to play for several hours with it, fan was at max speed (or close to it) and the CPU at high temp when gaming and never got an issue nor power shutdown, CPU never went above the Max temp allowed in specifications, but I think it was due to great cooling design from the laptop manufacturer, as the laptop is "professional" line... targeted for (so to speak) intense used.

Still using this old laptop now running virtualization software with databases SQL to perform tests from software development and it still runs very well...

RSchi13
Beginner

Hi Gh0stb1t,

thank you so much for the long answer, it's all clear.

To get the current temperatures I had to make small '' changes '' to the laptop, because before my surgery the temperature exceeded 75 degrees with only 1700 mhz frequency. Now I can keep the 2700 mhz under load, at around 80 degrees.

I have changed the original thermal paste. It was very little and dry, certainly of poor quality. To further improve the dissipation I then connected the CPU heatsink to the metal body of the laptop with thermal pads. As far as I understand, my little laptop will last for years, with temperatures around 80 degrees. However, these are not "usual" temperatures, but temperatures that I reach only by playing.

I have never exceeded 2700 mhz under load, i.e. the frequency stabilizes on that value, regardless of the temperature and the tdp set. To read higher values ​​I have to set the '' performance '' profile and, while browsing the internet, I will be able to read a frequency equal to or greater than 3000 mhz with a load on the processor of less than 10%

Thanks a lot for the answer.

Raffaele

0 Kudos