Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14516 Discussions

I want to buy a new computer with the ability to upgrade in the future. But the problem is that I don't know what socket Intel will use in the new processors for desktop computers. I would like to know the answer to this question

VMaks4
Beginner

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Things change all the time. A socket today cannot be expected to support a processor from the future. There is no guaranteed lifespan for a socket, as processor design and requirements are constantly changing.

The same with motherboard features. Your firewire of the past has been replaced with USB-C today. VGA and DVI have been replaced with HDMI and DP. CD/DVD have been replaced by USB. ISA slots are long gone, as well as PCI slots. DDR-2. et al, are also gone. PATA replaced by SATA, which is being replaced by NVME.

The point is that you should expect change and obsolesence. It is part of the continiual evolvement process. This is reality. Sorry, but there is no answer to your question.

Doc

W10 2004, W10 May 2020, W10 20H1, W10 19041 - A rose, by any other name, still smells.

0 Kudos
VMaks4
Beginner

thanks for the answer. then I'll ask you another question. processor on which socket to choose: 2066 or 1200?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I have no specific preference. If I were looking for a board, I would probably go for one with the Z390 chipset.

Doc

0 Kudos
VMaks4
Beginner

but this is 1151 socket. I understand Intel has already replaced it with 1200. This means that there will be no new processors for the z390 motherboard. or am I wrong?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I am not focused on the socket as you are. If you want to focus on sockets 2066 or 1200, do the research and select a board that has the features you need today.

Doc

0 Kudos