Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14514 Discussions

I would like to buy one new Comet lake CPU in Hong Kong, but there is only tray i7-10700K. The online store mention warranty for 3 years. Is that true?

User1590025451096232

Dear Sir,

Can I check whether the tray Intel i7-10700K is 3 years warranty? I find out an online store have that and mention for 3 years warranty. I am a bit worry for the warranty. Can you help me to check that? If it is 3 years warranty, I will go and buy it. How is the different between box set and tray CPU? Thanks.

https://shop.pegasus.hk/products/202765/%E6%BC%A2%E7%A7%91-3-%E5%B9%B4%E4%BF%9D-intel-core-i7-10700k-8%E6%A0%B816%E7%B7%9A%E7%A8%8B-tray-%E4%B8%8D%E5%90%AB%E6%95%A3%E7%86%B1%E9%A2%A8%E6%89%87

Yours Sincerely,

Andrew

0 Kudos
5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Tray processors are OEM processors. You do not get a warranty from intel for an OEM processor. You only get the 3-year warranty with the purchase of Boxed Processor products. As far as I know, no (legitimate) store should be selling you a tray processor - and certainly none should be representing that there is a warranty when there really isn't. Is this store providing you with a guarantee? It better be on paper! Will *they* replace the processor if it fails? Usually not.

For more information, consult this article: Frequently Asked Questions about Warranty for Intel Processors.

...S

0 Kudos
User1590025451096232

Thanks for the prompt reply. The store told me that it is cover by the distributor "Hornington Computer". So Hornington Computer is your Distributor? As the shop told me that Hornington Computer will provide their own box and shoe that it is 3 years warranty. Is it reliable for buying that CPU? If Hornington computer close, can I send the CPU to you for repair with the warranty? Thanks.

Andrew

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If Hornington Computer is providing a written guarantee that indicates that they will responsibly replace any failing processor, this might be ok - presuming that you actually believe that they will continue to exist for the full warranty period. This still sounds pretty sketchy to me. This might look like a good deal, but you only get what you pay for.

Intel is not providing a warranty with tray/OEM processors so, if Hornington Computer goes out of business, you will have no recourse. Intel isn't going to help you in this case. If I was making this kind of purchase, I would be purchasing a boxed processor with a warranty.

...S

0 Kudos
User1590025451096232

It is ok for that I will consider whether go to buy the tray or Box. So that Intel don't have any restriction to your distributor how to sell your goods. If they closed, the only way is to sue this company instead of Intel. Thanks.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You have to understand that OEM processors, by the tray, are meant to be bulk-purchased by OEMs who are building, selling and warranting their own system-level products. They were never meant to be re-sold in the retail grey markets. Intel does not authorize its OEM customers to re-sell these processors in the retail grey markets. Unfortunately, overstock often ends up being re-sold like this.

Look, you are free to purchase whatever you want, however you want. Just understand that, if you go for the OEM/tray processor, you can't cry to Intel for help if something goes wrong with it.

...S

0 Kudos