Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14507 Discussions

I3 4170 and spectre

SZodi
Beginner

Hi, I wonder when or if the I3 4170 desktop processor will be included in the CPUs for which intel produces updates to mitigate the spectre problem? I beleive it belongs to the Haswell class of processor.

It seems Haswell mobile and server CPUs have updates but I see no mention of desktop processors. https://newsroom.intel.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2018/03/microcode-update-guidance.pdf https://newsroom.intel.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2018/03/microcode-update-guidance.pdf

I know these things take time but as mobile and server CPUs have been covered hopefully desktop CPUs won't be far behind.

Can anyone throw light on the subject?

Regards Steve

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If you search by CPUID value, you will see that the Haswell Desktop processors are covered by the section titled Haswell (including H, S). They just haven't provided a full and proper list of the processors affected in the Public Name field. The entries should include all of these:

4th Generation Intel® Core™ Mobile Processor Family

4th Generation Intel® Pentium® Mobile Processor Family

4th Generation Intel® Celeron® Mobile Processor Family

4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor Family

4th Generation Intel® Pentium® Processor Family

4th Generation Intel® Celeron® Processor Family

intel_corp - please have the guidance document fixed to properly list the public names for all processors affected.

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If you search by CPUID value, you will see that the Haswell Desktop processors are covered by the section titled Haswell (including H, S). They just haven't provided a full and proper list of the processors affected in the Public Name field. The entries should include all of these:

4th Generation Intel® Core™ Mobile Processor Family

4th Generation Intel® Pentium® Mobile Processor Family

4th Generation Intel® Celeron® Mobile Processor Family

4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor Family

4th Generation Intel® Pentium® Processor Family

4th Generation Intel® Celeron® Processor Family

intel_corp - please have the guidance document fixed to properly list the public names for all processors affected.

...S

0 Kudos
SZodi
Beginner

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I asked Gigabyte support if there was a BIOS update for my main board but they said that Intel had not released any suitable microcode yet. If Intel have released it I hope they tell Gigabyte.

Regards Steve

0 Kudos