Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

I5-13600K High Temps

Nsmart
Beginner

I just built a gaming PC with the following hardware.

Case: Corsair Carbide series 175R 

Motherboard: ASRock Z690 Extreme Wifi

Proccessor: Intel i5-13600K

CPU Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-914-XT ARGB

GPU: ASRock AMD Radeon 6650 XT

Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB DDr4 3200MHz

SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB

Case Fans: 4 Corsair 120mm fans

Power Supply: Corsair RMX Series750W

Operating System: Windows 11

Without running any games or programs my CPU temperature hovers around 50 C.

When running Call of Duty: Modern warfare 2 the CPU temp will hover in the 90s.

From what I read, this seams way to high, especially when the CPU utilization is only around 20%.

I have already reapplied thermal paste, this made no improvement.

Is this CPU temp too high for this processor? 

Is my CPU Cooler too small for this processor and I should try a bigger cooler?

Could the Processor be defective?

Are there any suggestions as to why my CPU temp is getting this high?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
AlHill
Super User

update your bios and check your fan control settings.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Especially your fan speed control settings. You should be using a control curve that has the fan at full speed (100% duty cycle) at any temperature above, say, 90c (with an air cooler, I might even be tempted to use 85c).

...S

0 Kudos
Nsmart
Beginner
Hey thanks for the response.

I have already made sure the fan curve kicks the fan speed to 100% at around 80C. The motherboard firmware is also up to date.

0 Kudos
Fede59
Novice

Intel 13th Gen generally run hotter than 12th (even the non-K CPUs) but in idle it should definitely not go above 38°-40° (room at 20-21° and with a good case).

I'd dismount, check the thermal paste and remount the CPU+cooler, 50° is too hot.

0 Kudos
Nsmart
Beginner
Hey thanks for the feedback.

I have reapplied the thermal paste already and remounted the cooler with the same results.

That’s why I’m leaning towards getting a bigger CPU cooler.
0 Kudos
Fede59
Novice

The NH-U12A should be enough. I used it with an i7-13700K and it worked well. Within Intel PL1-PL2 limits it could cool the CPU even during Cinebench.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I agree; this should be an adequate cooler. Remember, however, that air coolers are slower to respond to temperature change. That you see spikes up into the 90s is not unexpected. As time passes, however, the increasing fan speed should pull the temperatures back down to more-reasonable levels. The minimum fan speed should be set to ensure that the processor is idling in the 30-45c range (I happen to be a proponent of *not* allowing the fan to ever be turned off). It should not be idling in the 50-60c range; this is an indication of a problem. The problem could be the cooling unit itself or it could be something in the fan speed control configuration (you *are* hearing the fan spin up as temperatures reach these higher levels, right?).

A secondary consideration is the air temperature inside the chassis. The cooler the air is inside the chassis, the more efficient - and quieter - the CPU (and any GPU) coolers can be dissipating heat. Your motherboard has temperature sensor(s) that you can use to get approximate air temperature readings and you can use these sensor(s) to decide when to increase the speed of the chassis fans that are bringing air into the chassis and exhausting air from it. I believe that you should have at least one inlet chassis fan (typically on the front) and one outlet chassis fan (typically on the back). Note also that, at any point in time, the airflow at the outlet chassis fan(s) should be equal to or higher than the airflow at the inlet chassis fans. It not, air pressure can build up inside the chassis and this can impede air flow and raises temperatures everywhere. This is most-easily achieved by having the inlet and outlet chassis fans be the same size and make. It can also be done by having an additional outlet chassis fan.

Hope this helps,

...S

Nsmart
Beginner
Hey guys,
I believe I have resolved the issue for now.

I checked the frequency the CPU was running and it was at about 5GHz at idle.

I went into the bios, and disabled the intel turbo boost setting. Doing so changed the frequency of the CPU to around 3.8GHz at idle.

The temperature is about 40C or less at idle and maybe 50C when running call of duty.

Thanks again for all the responses and help. Hope this can help someone else in the future as well!
0 Kudos
kmarc
Novice

I think your idle temperature is too high. I am using ID-cooling SE-225 XT (rated TDP 220w) and idling at 41-43'c (ambient 28'c) for my hot 13700k.

Disabling turbo boost 2.0 is not the way to go. It will set the 13600k to the max base speed of 3.5 Ghz instead of the usual cpu frequency of 5.1 Ghz when boosted.

Download Hwinfo app to monitor your systems parameters. By right your processor should downclock at idle. Like my 13700k, it idles at 1.1Ghz for pcores and 800mhz for ecores.

I had problems with temperatures at gaming too (runs 75-85'c) until I downvolt my 13700k about -100mv. Brought gaming temperature down about 10-15'c on gaming.

Dileesh
Novice
Your coolers rated TDP is 125w which is the same as base TDP of the CPU.
Try using a better thermal paste if you are using it within Intel specified power limits. You may want to consult your Bios manual to see how to disable all motherboard/bios suggested power limits and stick to Intel's ones. I would recommend a better cooler for this cip though.
0 Kudos
LaKnu92
Beginner

Had the same issue as you, and i have a good custom cooling setup with a SysCooling SC-P60 pump. Was running around 50+ degrees celsius at idle.

I sadly have an ASUS B660 D4 motherboard. All i did was i went into BIOS and disabled "ASUS Performance Enhancement 3.0" and instead let intel do its job at controlling the frequencies, which it does great.

Now sitting around 32 degrees celsius at idle, both E-core and P-core average.

I agree with kmarc with what he says here, Disabling turbo boost 2.0 is not the way to go

0 Kudos