Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14368 Discussions

I5 6500 works @ 798 Mhz on H170 GAMING M3

speedydust
Beginner

Intel i5 6500 Skylake @3.2Ghz in Win10x64 often works on 798Mhz. I need help how to solve this problem. My pc components are motherboard MSI H170 GAMING M3, Corsair HX750W, Corsair 2x8GB, DDR4 2133MHz., 400 GB Hitachi SATA-II 3.0Gb/s, Creative Labs Audigy 4 PCI.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello speedydust, 

Thank you for the information provided. 

Please check our recommendations below: 

1. Can you confirm if besides the low frequencies, do you have another behavior on the system? For example, BSOD, crashing, overheating problems, etc.  
  2. Have you seen in the system BIOS if the Intel® Turbo Boost Technology is disabled? Please make sure this feature is enabled. And then, try disabling Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology
  3. Do you have another spare processor or motherboard compatible that you can test? If yes, please let us know about the outcome of swapping the components.  
  4. Another useful step is checking that your Power Supply Unit (PSU) is working properly, if possible test a spare PSU. 
  5. Set the BIOS settings by default, if possible clear the CMOS battery (check with the manufacturer for guidance). 

Regards, 

Sebastian M.  

Intel Customer Support Technician.  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello speedydust, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following: 

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report generated:  

• Open the application, check the "Everything" box, and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".  
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".  
  • Use the paperclip icon to attach the report to the thread. Please note that only one file can be attached at a time. 

2. Run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and send the results either in a screenshot or .txt file. To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply. 

3. Run the Intel® Processor Identification Utility and attach the report either in a screenshot or .txt file. Follow the instructions here

4. Where exactly do you see that the processor runs at 798 MHz? Can you please provide a screenshot/report of this speed? 

Regards, 

Sebastian M.  

0 Kudos
speedydust
Beginner

I have done all tasks you requested. I see 798Mhz in Bios and with Cpu-Z. When proc is @798Mhz my memory also drops i will attach cpu-z screenshots and also test results.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello speedydust, 

Thank you for the information provided. 

Please check our recommendations below: 

1. Can you confirm if besides the low frequencies, do you have another behavior on the system? For example, BSOD, crashing, overheating problems, etc.  
  2. Have you seen in the system BIOS if the Intel® Turbo Boost Technology is disabled? Please make sure this feature is enabled. And then, try disabling Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology
  3. Do you have another spare processor or motherboard compatible that you can test? If yes, please let us know about the outcome of swapping the components.  
  4. Another useful step is checking that your Power Supply Unit (PSU) is working properly, if possible test a spare PSU. 
  5. Set the BIOS settings by default, if possible clear the CMOS battery (check with the manufacturer for guidance). 

Regards, 

Sebastian M.  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello speedydust,  

Were you able to check the previous post and try the information suggested? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M.   

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello speedydust,  

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance or if you have additional questions, please create a new thread and we will gladly assist you.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M.   

0 Kudos