Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14507 Discussions

I5 8400 Turbo Boost Not Working

viidafreak
Beginner
Hi, previously my cpu able to clock at 3.8GHz (Turbo Boost Max : 4.0Ghz) without any problem. But recently these few days I realized my CPU constantly staying at base clock (2.8GHz) eventhough I'm using heavy CPU programs.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

viidafreak, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this matter, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the model of the motherboard?

Is this a new computer?

Was the Intel® Turbo Boost working fine before?

When did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

Which Windows* version are you using?

For this scenario, we suggest and recommend to get in contact directly with the manufacturer of the motherboard to:

-Reset the BIOS to default values

-Make sure the feature that is called "Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology" is not enabled: since it is an advanced means of enabling high performance while meeting the power-conservation needs of mobile systems. Conventional Intel SpeedStep® Technology switches both voltage and frequency in tandem between high and low levels in response to processor load. Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology builds upon that architecture using design strategies such as Separation between Voltage and Frequency Changes, and Clock Partitioning and Recovery, when this option is activated it might stop the Intel® Processor from using the Intel® turbo Boost.

-To gather the instructions on how to update the BIOS to the latest version

Additionally, in order to verify if there might be a problem with the Intel® Processor, we can always run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool, it does an overall test in the unit and if it passes the test, it indicates the Intel® Processor is working fine and the problem is related to a different component:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello viidafreak, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello viidafreak, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, please post them on a new thread so we can further assist you with this matter.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos