Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14537 Discussions

I7 10700K doing roller coaser

haze_bird
Beginner

Hello,

I have a slight problem with my CPU at the moment. It suddenly appeared one week ago, it's just go up and down like a roller coaster when I launch discord or everythings else. When I play it goes 100% without ever stopping. So the ventirad goes mad everytime.

You are my last hope help

Thanks in advance for you answer.

haze

P.s sry for my english

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
17 Replies
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello haze_bird

Thank you for posting on the Intel Communities. I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your Intel® Core™ i7-10700K Processor. Please let's try the following;

• Reset your Bios to default settings.
  • Check Task Manager and make sure that there are no programs that are running in the background that might be making high usage of the processor. If possible share screenshots of the Task manager processes screen

If the issue persists, please let me know the following:

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
haze_bird
Beginner

Dear Hugo,

Thank you for dealing with my case so quickly.

My BIOS settings should be all in default.

You'll find screenshots of the task manager.

Yes, all the programs are closed.

I have an air-cooled tower with thermal paste pre-installed, so overheating should not be an issue.

Looks like the problem is slowly going down, you'll find two screenshots of two separate benchmark with cpu background %, if it does help you.

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Best regards 

haze

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello haze_bird

Thank you for the information provided. Based on the log file that you shared with us, please do the following:

1. Update your Bios to the latest version published on your motherboard manufacturer's website. The latest version is 7C80v1C.
  2. Go to your motherboard's website driver section and install the Intel Chipset Drivers for Windows 10.

If the issue continues to happen, please let us know the following:

• Does the issue happen when in idle state? Or does it exclusively happen when opening a program?
  • Please run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and attach a screenshot of the results.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
haze_bird
Beginner

Hi Hugo,

As you can see on the screenshot attached, the bios has been updated and the pc is running on idle.

Best regards

haze

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello haze_bird

I appreciate the information that you shared with us. I would like to confirm the following:

• Were you able to also install the chipset driver for your motherboard?
  • As of right now how is the system behaving? Do you still see exactly the same peal in processor frequency as shown in the original post screenshot?
  • Based on the last screenshot you provided, besides task manager, there were other programs open and using resources (these are the ones in red/orange ). Have you tried closing those programs?

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
haze_bird
Beginner

Hello Hugo,

I've just installed Intel Chipset Drivers, nothing have changed.

System still behaving weirdly, now it's 6% on idle "With all the little programms running on the background"  and when opening a game or chrome it just go full 100%. It used to stay cool without any problem when running high demanding application.

Yes I tried to closed them, it just as if one programm suddenly takes all the power like the searchbar etc... 

Best regards

haze

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello haze_bird

Thank you for confirming this information. We will continue researching this issue internally and I will post back once I have an update for you or in case I need more information. I appreciate your patience.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello haze_bird

Upon further checking the log files that you provided, we noticed that your RAM is running at 3600Mhz, based on the processor's specifications website the maximum supported frequency is 2933Mhz. Please make sure to reset your Bios to default settings or to disable Intel® XMP as it may reduce system stability and performance.

Please run the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU), perform a stress test, and attach screenshots so we can monitor the temperatures of the processor.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
haze_bird
Beginner

Hi, 

So in the meantime, I have updated windows 10 to 11.

Disabled XMP and ran the stress test.

The cpu doesn't do anymore those spikes but is still going crazy for nothing. Small task take 100% CPU, like if the information given from the CPU were wrong.

In your link, the Max core frequency is 5.1 ghz, my cpu never went that high, even under pression, is that normal ?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Best regards

haze

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello haze_bird

Thank you for sharing with us the results of the troubleshooting. It is good to know that the processor is no longer exhibiting the frequency spike behavior.

In regards to the issue, you mention with the processor being used at 100% even with small tasks. Could you please share with us a short video showing this issue? Please note that if you see spikes to 100% usage like when opening a program this should be ok however if it happens for more time there might be something else going on.

Answering your last question, the frequency related to Intel® Turbo Boost Technology is automatically met by the processor only if specific scenarios and conditions are met. More information is in the following article:

What Is Intel® Turbo Boost Technology and How Does It Work?

My Intel® Core™ Processor Does Not Reach the Maximum Turbo Boost Frequency

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
haze_bird
Beginner

Hello,

Here's the video you asked for.

The cpu is now running 100% all the time for small task.

Best regards

haze

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello haze_bird

Thank you for sharing the video with us. There is definitely high processor usage even when using no demanding apps. You can find some recommendations to fix high processor usage in the following link:

How to Fix High CPU Usage

You can follow the recommendations on the above link, however, the best next step will be an Operating System reinstallation. I saw that you updated from Windows 10 to Windows 11 however this is different from a reinstallation since the update will keep the previous Operating System files. You will need to complete a fresh installation deleting all apps. As outlined in step 7 of the shared article you can keep files but apps need to be deleted.

Best Regards,

Hugo O,

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello haze_bird

I hope you are doing fine. 

Were you able to check the previous post? 

Let us know if you still need assistance. 

Best regards,  

Hugo O.  

0 Kudos
haze_bird
Beginner

Hi,

I don't have time right now for making a reinstalaltion, I'm gonna tell you when it's done.

Thanks for the tips

haze

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello haze_bird

We would like to confirm if you were able to reinstall the OS on your system. If so, please let us know if the issue still persists.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @haze_bird

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to review our previous post. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us back. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @haze_bird

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.  

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos