Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14397 Discussions

I7 13700kf running hot

Samira0420
Novice

I built a new pc with the mentioned processor a Noctua NH-C14S cooling fan and I can't keep temps from 100c when under load.  I mean its instant 0-100 on core 7 as soon as I start cinebench.  This then triggers throttling.  With my limited knowledge I did set the core voltage offset to -0.175 to try to under volt.  Idle temps with 1-3% utilization are 48-51c, playing cyberpunk 70-95c overtime this will hit 100, Cinebench is 100 immediately .  I have reseated and repasted my cooling solution already.  Do I need a different cooler, is this normal behavior for this chip and I should just ignore it?  I have 2 front 140mm fans  1 rear 140  mm fan  3 120 mm top mounted exhaust fans seems to be decent airflow.  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated because being throttled in every task I do sucks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
DeividA_Intel

Hello Samira0420, 

Thanks for your patience. I would like you to know that Intel cannot rely on third-party benchmarks, if you are not getting issues with Intel tools and no shutdowns and BSOD are happening due to temperatures, this would mean that there are no issues with the CPU.

As mentioned before, the temperatures that you mentioned are fine and under specification. If you want, you can check with the motherboard manufacturer to confirm if there are any BIOS settings that can improve the system temperatures. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
21 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Update your motherboard bios.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
Samira0420
Novice

I did as you suggested and updated the bios, backed it down again 0.175 it bounces from 100 to 99 now but once it hits 100 immediately it throttles for awhile.  I had 5 cores hit 100c the rest were 94-98c. during cinebench  I would say I need to go to a AIO or something but I am reading that people are having the same issue even with big radiators

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Samira0420,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your Intel® Core™ i7-13700KF Processor.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Where are you seeing the temperatures?

2. Can you take a picture of the high temperatures?

3. Can you take a picture of the task manager while the unit is in high temperatures?

4. Have you made any changes to the BIOS or is it on default settings?

5. Does the unit shutdown or get an error after it gets 100c?

6. Is the CPU getting high temperatures only with one game or several? If so, which games also increase the temperatures?

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
Samira0420
Novice

1. Where are you seeing the temperatures?  I am monitoring temps with HWinfo, core temps, CPUID hardware monitor, and intel extreme tuning utility.  I am monitoring individual core temps, voltage offset, clocks per core and cpu package temps.

2. Can you take a picture of the high temperatures?  See attached

3. Can you take a picture of the task manager while the unit is in high temperatures?  See attached

4. Have you made any changes to the BIOS or is it on default settings? I have turned off multicore enhancement but nothing else is different than stock

5. Does the unit shutdown or get an error after it gets 100c? I have yet to have a shutdown even running the entire cinebench test.  The temps are pegged at 100c for the entire test but no shutdown and I haven't had any errors in windows

6. Is the CPU getting high temperatures only with one game or several? If so, which games also increase the temperatures? After reseating and repasting for the 4th time I achieved temperature stability in cyberpunk and red dead.  They now are 65-72c

I redid my cooler and was able to find relief in games.  Still not better in cinebench.  The temps flip immediately  from idle to 100c, and throttle when starting cinebench.  Thank you for all the help its appreciated

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Samira0420, 

Thanks for the information provided. I would like to investigate this further, please provide the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU):

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
Samira0420
Novice

Thank you attached as requested

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Samira0420, 

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Samira0420, 

Thanks for your patience. I am still investigating your issue, however, in order to proceed I will need to confirm the following:

1. Are you still having the issue after reseating, repasting, and cleaning the system?

2. Are the temperatures showing a 100 from the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU), or is it another app after repasting?

3. Was the cooling solution working before or has the issue started since the first installation?

4. Run and send the report from the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool:

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
Samira0420
Novice

1. Yes issues still persist.  I am getting 65c - 84c across the cores and a computer package temp of 87c while running cyberpunk.  When I run any benchmark that loads the cores (cinebench, 3dmark suite, AIDA64) I am immediately thermal throttled with temps pegged at 100.  The best I have done was get decent idle temps and ok gaming temps.

2. Yes intel extreme utility shows thermal throttling and package temperature fluctuating between 99c and 100c.  Coretemps, HWmonitor, HWinfo64 all show the same.

3. Initially I had the cooler improperly seated.  I ran this way for about a day no benchmarks or gaming just had the machine up and running along with monitoring programs for stability test.  I then reseated the cooler with new paste and got lower idle temps.  I reseated/paste the cooler again after posting here and was able to achieve 87c in cyberpunk, 60c Modern Warfare II, but 100c in cinebench from the start.

4.  attached

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Samira0420, 

Thanks for the confirmation. Based on your report, everything looks fine and I would like to let you know that the temperatures that you mentioned (65c, 84c,87c) are normal and expected since your processor supports up to 100°C.

However, I will confirm if the temperatures get from the benchmarks are normal under the stress that these tools exert on the processor. I will get back to you as soon as possible. 

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Samira0420, 

Thanks for your patience. I would like you to know that Intel cannot rely on third-party benchmarks, if you are not getting issues with Intel tools and no shutdowns and BSOD are happening due to temperatures, this would mean that there are no issues with the CPU.

As mentioned before, the temperatures that you mentioned are fine and under specification. If you want, you can check with the motherboard manufacturer to confirm if there are any BIOS settings that can improve the system temperatures. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
Samira0420
Novice

Thanks for taking the time to look into this for me.  I can understand the stance not to support 3rd party but it happens with XTU as well.  During stress test its pegged at 100c with thermal throttling and some power throttling thrown in.  During benchmark XTU2 package temp hits 100c and thermal throttles for the entirety of the benchmark.  I have not had shutdowns or bluescreens.  I decided to order a new chip hoping the same results wont present.  Thank you again for the help

MichaelJC
Beginner

May I ask what your primary use case for your system is?

I apologize if you said already and I missed it.

13700KF and a 3070 Ti? Also, Z690 or Z790? And air cooled right?

0 Kudos
PeteDns
Beginner

> " the temperatures that you mentioned are fine and under specification. "

And you work for Intel?! Shame on you! Those temperatures are NOT fine! Under specification? He's throttling! He's hitting up 95 degrees with Cyberpunk.

Let's assume that the temperature limit is 100c. You would say that 99c is just fine, since it's under specification? One degree?

As an IT guy since the late 80's  I get seriously pissed when people like you are spreading such nonsense.

And for Pete's sake, give the guy some proper advice, because a lot of these 13700K's are running over 253w caused by motherboard manufacturers that have set wattage to unlimited.

I'm seriously thinking about reporting you to Intel for spreading such nonsense.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@PeteDns 

Now now now.... The forum has rules of decorum.   This includes no personal attacks.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
evilstuie
Novice

Hi,

I'm having similar issues and have followed all of your same steps.

I'm using a Gigabyte B660M D3H motherboard that doesn't allow for undervolting.

I'm using a Corsair H100i V2 with dual size radiator and still have the CPU bounce instantly from ambient temperature to 100C.

I've read the Intel "Expert" response saying there's nothing wrong with the CPU and that up to 100C is normal operating temperature, btu that's because the CPU cuts itself off by way of clock, voltage or cores when it hits that temperature.

It was the same with an air cooler, and stock and high end brand thermal pastes, applied with varying thickness and using a credit card to evenly spread it before applying the heatsink.

What is the point of spending money on a CPU that can't actually perform to the level it's advertised unless your running it in a LN2 bath.

0 Kudos
Alphalfa
Beginner

Allow me to actually give you the information you want.

I understand exactly what you are talking about.  Give me a second to get to the point.

The answer is simple, but not what you want to hear:

***Your performance cores are NOT throttling***  

Your intel i7-13700KF processor has 8 performance cores with hyperthreading that run at 3.4ghz.  The MAX turbo speed is 5.4ghz.  What you are describing as 'throttling' is in reality just 'not turbo-ing as much'.  Your effecient cores should run steady at 4.2ghz.  If your performance cores drop below 3.4ghz, THAT is throttling.  If your efficient cores drop below 4.2ghz, THAT is throttling.

Now here is some bonus information!

The better your thermal paste and cooling solution, the higher turbo speeds you will see, and for longer periods.

My 13700KF has a good paste job and a 280mm (140x2) liquid cooled radiator.  With no overclocking whatsoever, the processor naturally goes up to 5.83ghz.  It goes straight to 100c and stays there.  If it stays at 5.83ghz too long, it 'overwhelms' the cooling solution, and drops down to 5.3ghz, and it seems like my cooling solution is able to maintain with the 5.3ghz indefinitely. (Still NOT throttling!)

If I had a lesser cooling solution, I doubt I would ever see 5.83ghz clock speeds, and it would not be able to maintain at 5.3ghz, it would have to run even lower.

The better your cooling solution, the more performance you will see from this CPU, and even with the lowest air cooled solution that meets the specification of the CPU will maintain clock speeds well over 3.4ghz on your performance cores.  It just always allows itself to run at maximum temperature and balances it right on the cusp of where it will and will not cause itself damage.

I hope you enjoyed an answer that actually made sense.

If I have one complaint about intel processors, it is the number of PCI-e lanes.  While 16-20 lanes is plenty for many users, there are still a good percent of users that would like to see as many as 60 lanes-  3 GPUs @ 16 lanes each = 48 lanes + 3 performance m.2 SSD @ 4 lanes each = 60

Conclusion:  With modern 2023 standards, each core series processor should come with SKU variants for example:  i7-13700KF-20 (default 20 lanes) i7-13700KF-40 (40 lanes) and i7-13700KF-60 (60 lanes).  Each one of these configurations would allow for 1 GPU and 1 m.2 SSD, 2 GPUs and 2 m.2 SSDs, and 3 GPUs and 3 m.2 SSDs

I know it's off subject, but I figured I'd put it out there.

0 Kudos
evilstuie
Novice

Thanks for replying, but your answer is wrong. 

The motherboard was the issue, as it could not fully power the CPU. The VRMs were cooking and throttling the CPU.

I upgraded to a Z690 motherboard and throttling went away, Benchmark score basically doubled.

The issue is that back in the day a motherboard went up in price for fancy features and added extras, but there wasn't a paywall for performance. Now you have to buy the expensive motherboard if you want your CPU to perform as advertised, otherwise you get literally and figuratively throttled.

The CPU still runs hot as **bleep** even with a AIO 360 triple fan setup and good thermal paste, but at least it's staying under 95C at full load.

0 Kudos
Alphalfa
Beginner

>Thanks for replying, but your answer is wrong. 

My answer is the same as DeividA_Intel, I just explain it in a way you should be able to understand a little better.  I apologize for overestimating you.

I would certainly be interested to see a screenshot of the CPU being throttled below 3.4ghz

>The VRMs were cooking and throttling the CPU.

Anything over 3.4ghz is turbo and not being throttled.  Again, your CPU was not throttling, it was just not turbo-ing as fast as it could due to cheap/incorrect hardware configuration.

>I upgraded to a Z690 motherboard and throttling went away, Benchmark score basically doubled.

>The CPU still runs hot as **bleep** even with a AIO 360 triple fan setup and good thermal paste, but at least it's staying under 95C at full load.

Again, the CPU is not throttling, and your new motherboard is simply telling it to max out at 95c rather than 100c.  You will likely find an option for this somewhere under the 'Advanced' tab in your BIOS.

>The more you are able to cool this CPU, the more TURBO you will get.  I have never ONCE heard of anyone THROTTLING below >3.4ghz, which is the base speed of the CPU.  Anything over 3.4ghz is TURBO and a BONUS.

With that cooler, you should be able to maintain 5.3ghz+ indefinitely.

Let's see some clock speeds from the before and after.

>I upgraded to a Z690 motherboard and throttling went away

- "Motherboard"

Product:"ROG STRIX Z790-F GAMING WIFI" 

Since you already had a perfectly capable Z790 motherboard, a Z690 is a downgrade.   You could have just changed the max temp to 95c in your BIOS and got the same results + all the advantages of the Z790 chipset.  I hope you still have the motherboard lying around so you can still make good use of it.

People, pay attention to your CLOCK speeds in addition to TEMP.  This CPU will always run itself as hot as it can for maximum performance based upon user configuration.  You could configure it to max out at 85c, and it will figure out how fast it can run and not exceed 85c.

This is a great CPU.  I started on TRS-80s and CoCos and intel 4.77 megahertz CPUs way back when dinosaur computers ruled the Earth, and I can honestly say this is the first time I have actually felt satisfied with a CPU.  Bravo, intel!  I hope this post clears up any misconceptions about throttling being an issue in this CPU.  It is clearly marketed as a 3.4ghz chip that turbos up to 5.4ghz.  There is no deception, and the chip absolutely DOES NOT fall short of those specifications.  I have only ever known it to exceed them.  It does run hot, but not TOO hot.  100c is acceptable.  105c is not.  Some individuals and manufacturers feel safer running lower temps, and it is all easily configured, typically through the BIOS, and probably in the XTU application.

I've ran my 13700KF for over 24 hours straight doing deep learning and rendering projects, and the temp stays at 100c the entire time, the lowest recorded temp is 98c.  It will run at 5.830ghz for extended periods, then decide to drop down to 5.327ghz for awhile, and then go back up to 5.830.  I have never seen it drop below 5.327ghz with any load.

0 Kudos
evilstuie
Novice

Maybe take your meds buddy.

I have no clue where you imagined me having a Z790 motherboard, but when you learn to read, you'll find the motherboard I originally had was a B660 chipset board, and I replaced it with a Z690M AORUS.

The VRM cooling on the B660 chipsets is not sufficient to allow the CPU to draw enough power to sustain anywhere near the full potential of the 13700K CPU,  but if you don't believe / understand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3o1Ebk_jCA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEa0vcJ0lRY

https://www.techspot.com/review/2426-intel-b660-motherboards/

The Z690 board has much better VRM cooling and configuration and allows the VRMs to supply enough voltage for the CPU to run, but it will still throttle once it hits 100C

evilstuie_0-1699346522190.png

Not every CPU is made the same, they are just tested for the same tolerances, meaning some will naturally run hotter than others, some will have defects, and some will outright fail.

If you were correct, there'd be no reason for overclockers to tweak any settings when they dunk a CPU in LN2, it would just naturally run as fast as it can until the CPU hit 105C right?

As for overestimating me, I think you just overestimated the part your ego and ignorance plays in being correct and accepting new information.

0 Kudos