Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14499 Discussions

I7-4700MQ Temperatures

JBeck11
Beginner

Hello,

I've got a few questions about the I7-4700MQ processor. I have this cpu on my notebook and I've been getting pretty high temperatures for while already (a year or so).

Here are the temperatures I usually get:

- Idle: 70C (if I turn the fan to max or leave it be, it doesn't change it at all – temp. just stays at 70C)

- web browsing: 80~85C

- watching videos on the internet: up to 95C

- gaming: it reaches thermal throttling

I have turbo-boost de-activated, as the performance gets noticeably worse when it uses higher clock speeds.

I repasted it a few times already, the first time I've noticed I little decrease in temperature (about 3~5C) but since then it's been pretty much as described above.

I do not know at what temperatures my notebook ran when it was new, but I used to play BF3 on high+ settings without much stutter.

So, what I would like to know is:

- what are the expected idle temperatures for this cpu model?

- or are these temperatures normal for this cpu?

- what could cause these high temperatures I'm getting?

Thanks in advance for any info on this topic.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, JohnBecker:

Could you please provide me with https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool Download Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool report, and your computer model.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
JBeck11
Beginner

Hi Amy,

My computer model is a Clevo W350ST.

The results generated by the diagnostic tool are in the attached file.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for the information.

I checked the report, and everything seems to be fine, as long as the computer does not restart itself, enters in BSOD's or shutdowns itself it should be fine. However, I would recommend setting the default values in your BIOS configuration.

For further reference http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/4th-gen-core-family-mobile-m-h-processor-lines-vol-1-datasheet.html Intel® Core™ Processors (M/H-Processor Lines) Datasheet, Vol. 1 and http://ark.intel.com/products/75117/Intel-Core-i7-4700MQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.40 GHz) Specifications.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
JBeck11
Beginner

Hi,

The only change I made in the BIOS setting related to my cpu was de-activating the turbo-boost, because, as I mentioned before. the performance improves with it turned off. I mean, with turbo-boost on, it reaches 100°C instantly and then it slows down for a while. Without it, I get a more consistent performance out of it.

I know it is running below the max working temperature of 100°C, but isn't running this close to the Tjunction temperature harmful?

Also is it supposed to work like that? For example: it's idling at 70°C and as soon as I open some application the temperature goes up instantly to, let's say, 90°C. Is that a normal behavior?

Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The minimum is 0°C and the maximum 100°C, any number in between these two is fine, it is expected. As long as you stay under 100°C and the computer does not restart itself, enters in BSOD's or shutdowns itself should be fine.

In your BIOS configuration, are you able to configure the fan speed? If yes, try setting it to full capacity.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
JBeck11
Beginner

I can change the fan speed to max by pressing fn+1 key combination, but it makes little to no difference.

Well, I guess there's nothing I can really do, I'll seek proper technical assistance to see if everything is ok when I have the opportunity.

At least now I'll be a little less worried, knowing it's not going to blow up by running hot most of the time.

Thanks for the answers, Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sure, you're welcome.

Let me know if you are able to address this.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos