Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14506 Discussions

I7 7700K - Frequency Spikes

nx1
Novice

hey, English isn't my main lang so i apologize ahead for any mistakes.

bought a new Z270 based system, working on Windows 10 Home X64 - latest build and updates.

system : Asus Prime Z270-K , Noctua U12S, Kingston Savage 8GBx2 3000Mhz CL15, 1070GTX, Seasonic 760 X-Gold.

highly ventilated PC case - Lian-Li PC-P80 with 6 new Noctua fans.

every driver installed is updated ( chipset included ), bios included. no OC at the moment.

the problem :

CPU is spiking to 4-4.5 on IDLE. while monitoring with 2 different software im getting the same numbers.

it goes from IDLE temps ( 28C-33C ) to 53C-58C to 4-4.5 frequency while IDLE.

what cause it ? everything and nothing. clicking on Firefox, clicking on Steam, doing absolutely nothing in desktop. it occurs every 1-2 min

for around 3-4 seconds, the CPU fan goes to higher speeds and than drops down as the frequency goes down.

bios is on default settings. nothing is changing after a clean format. heavier applications like games runs just fine.

will thank anyone who can relate \ reply \ advice.. since it never happened to me in earlier CPU's iv had ( i7 2600K \ i5 4690K ),

and its not rational that a modern CPU will go to such high frequencies for 3-4 seconds while doing nothing.

thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello cohr,

Thank you for joining the Processors community.

I noticed that you are using a memory at a higher speed than what the processor supports, this model supports the memory types; DDR4-2133/2400, DDR3L-1333/1600 @ 1.35V. And, your memory is currently at 3000MHz, so I just want to know if for testing purposes you can use a memory stick that meets the memory types supported by the Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
nx1
Novice

hello Amy,

the memory is not the issue . the CPU spikes occurs the same on the default memory speed settings ( 2133 ) and on the XMP profile ( 3000 ).

switching bios to default settings, formatting, nothing helps. im using the latest BIOS and my OS is updated, same goes with every driver installed.

i have also noticed more topics about this issue in these forums, and on other forums specifcly to the I7 7700K. as i said in my first comment,

on my earlier intel CPU's - it never happened.

i have also PASSED every test with the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool.

my CPU is brand new ( less than a month ) and im expecting some solution with the issue.

my system is stable and works as it should. those CPU spikes aren't supposed to happen on IDLE,

i expect a company like Intel to bring a solution to its customers. will not shy away switching to Ryzen

since now we have an AMD option.

thank you, cohr.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank for the information.

I just wanted to let you know that Intel is currently investigating this behavior, at this stage the investigation is on going so no further details have been provided yet. Soon we will have some update that will be posted on the following thread; /thread/110728 https://communities.intel.com/thread/110728.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

cohr i have a question for you since you may be having the same problem i have and got send to the same thread i have wrote on and really have not gotten a answer. i do not have the same mb as you but had game crashing problem and it made me watch my temps and that's when i noticed the my frequency goes crazy mostly wile idle since my system seems to stay pretty much the same under lode but i also noticed that my volts are just as erratic as the frequency, i used 3 programs to make sure it wasn't a software problem and they all 3 pretty much say the same thing. do you also see volts spikes when your frequency spikes? and have you figured anything out on how to fix it?

thanks for any help

0 Kudos