DDank
Beginner

Hi,

specs:

I7-7700k

MSI Z270 Gaming M7

Watercooling: Corsair H100i v2

TIM: Liquid Metal

yesterday i was running a game when suddenly all my Fans went to 100%. I checked the temperatures and saw that the CPU was at 100+°C. I run this PC for Months and havent changed anything. Normal Temperatures are max 60°C on full load. I never overclocked the pc.

I waited a day, and when i startup the PC, all the fans are immediatly running at 100%, before the BIOS Screen even shows up. When i enter BIOS, i see that my CPU runs at 60°C instantly and climbs then to 100+.

Is the CPU faulty? How can this happen from one moment to the next?!

Can the liquid metal be the problem? I use it on my second PC too, for over 2 Years already and Temps have never changed.

I dont know what to do, please help, any advice would be great.

David

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Schabracke,

I understand the Intel® processor experienced temperature spikes and the processor has never been overclocked. Let me help you on this matter.

We appreciate the feedback you have provided, the reported behavior of the 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor, showing momentary temperature changes from the idle temperature, is normal while completing a task (like opening a browser or an application or a program).

In our internal investigation, we did not observe temperature variation outside of the expected behavior and recommended specifications. For processor specifications, please refer to the datasheet below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/7th-gen-core-family-desktop-s-processor-lines-datasheet-vol-1.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/7th-gen-core-family-desktop-s-processor-lines-datasheet-vol-1.html

Most motherboard manufacturers offer customizable fan speed control settings that may allow for smoother transition of fan revolutions per minute (rpm). Please consult your motherboard manufacturer's manual or website for instructions on how to change default fan speed control settings.

We do not recommend running outside the processor specifications, such as by exceeding processor frequency or voltage specifications, or removing of the integrated heat spreader (sometimes called "de-lidding"). These actions will void the processor warranty.

Regards,

Allan J
0 Kudos
DDank
Beginner

Hi,

sorry to be rude, but this did not help at all. Your answer showed me, that my Description was not carefully read and the answer was copy pasted. This is bad service.

If the CPU is at 100+°C and the PC is throtteling and crashing, i doubt that this is normal. In addition, it's not a temporary peak, but as i wrote, its a constant climb without any recovery at all. Besides, as i wrote, temps were at 60°C max on full load before.

However. I figured, that the CPU wasn't the problem, but the Pump of my Watercooling. I thought it was working because the LEDs were still intact, reacting and when i touched the tubes, it vibrated. But the Vibration wasn't from a working pump, but were caused by the heating Water in the Cooling Part. When i connected the pump to another PC, i heard and felt nothing, which told me the Pump was faulty. Also i tested on another PC which Symptoms would occure, if i remove it's Pump from Power Supply Connector on Mainboard -> Same symptoms.

Hope i could help someone.

This matter can be closed, thanks.

BMine
Beginner

I know it is late and a while after you posted on this but did you ultimately need to replace the cpu cooler? I as well have the 7700k, msi gaming m7 and corsair h100iv2. I got home from work turned my pc on and after running fine since being built last year, cpu was at 100+ immediately on start up Before running any application or browser. Scared me pretty bad and havent had any luck until I found this post. I hope you reply since obviously intel was no help on the issue at hand when you asked.

0 Kudos
BMine
Beginner

If you guys (intel) want to actually try and help nows the time...

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

First, before anything else, I suggest you ensure that you have the latest available BIOS installed. Run initially with BIOS at default settings.

Second thing to look at is attachment of cooling solution to processor. I suggest that you remove the unit, clean old TIM off processor and unit, put new TIM on the processor and then reattach the unit [TIM = Thermal Interface Material, a.k.a. heatsink grease, goop, gunk, etc.]

Final thought: there were reports of issues a while back related to power settings imposed by processor being too high. Look into this as well. There were a number of discussions of this problem here in the forums.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos