Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

I7 8750h processor freezing up.

CYang79
Beginner

Hey there, I have a laptop with a core i7 8750h professor 6 cores and 12 threads. The specs of this processor would make us all assume that this would be amazing at multitasking. I am having an issue where every time I download something, or load and/ play a heavy internet intensive game it would stutter a lot and would sometimes freeze up. The audio would crack as well.

My computer specs are:

i7 8750h

single 8gb ram

1050 ti

500gb m.2 boot ssd

1tb hard drive.

With all the latest drivers installed.

I have had this issue since I got this laptop, but after everything is done downloaded and the game is loaded up everything will run buttery smooth after that.

Is there a fix to this? Because it doesn’t seem to happen on other computers.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AlHill
Super User

You would need to remove all of the Intel and Nvidia drivers (including the Geforce experience).

To do this, I would download the latest Intel and nvidia drivers from asus.

Then, I would disconnect from the net (disable or unplug)

Next, in the device manager, I would uninstall each adapter with the delete box checked, which will require a restart.

Do this until you get to the "microsoft basic display adapter" for both adapters.

Then, install the intel and nvida drivers you downloaded. There is an order, but I cannot remember which is first. Sorry, but you may confirm the order with asus.

Once both adapters are installed, reconnect to the net.

Regarding bitdefender, I would get rid of it.

Doc

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
AlHill
Super User

"With all the latest drivers installed." You are using the latest drivers from the laptop manufacturer's site, correct? If not, you should. This is especially the case since you have dual graphics. The laptop manufacturer will have modified the drivers to support the graphics switching. The intel generic drivers will not have this modification and will not function as intended.

What version of WIndows 10 are you using? 1809? Lower?

You should also contact the laptop manufacturer for support and warranty issues, especially since you have had this problem since you purchased the laptop. They are solely responsible for support of your laptop.

Doc

0 Kudos
CYang79
Beginner

For many of the updates, I get from the intel driver support. I also get my updates from Nvidia and from Asus themselves. I’m not sure what version of windows 10 I had an update a few days ago so it should be 1809 or something close to that. Also to note I do have my core under clocked by -125 Mv on the core cache and the core.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Go to start, settings, system, about, and look at the bottom of the page.

Regarding undervolting, do not do it. You already have problems with freezing. You should solve one problem before introducing another variable.

You must use only the drivers provided by asus for your dual graphics system. The Intel driver support utility is not intended for your laptop. Use the driver tool provided by asus.

Doc

0 Kudos
CYang79
Beginner

Currently my laptop is not on, but undervolting had many benefits for me, it gives me great temps, boosts my fps in games and my scores in cinebench. I don’t know if undervolting is a variable because it was one of the first things that I did when I got my laptop. I got my laptop around October. But the stuttering and freezing only happens when I use a internet heavy application or when I’m downloading. My core sits at 3% utilization. For example when I’m watching YouTube or streaming Netflix, I can hear cracking sounds due the stuttering on my pc.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Contact asus for support. Use only the asus drivers for your intel and nvidia graphics.

And, you still have not provided the Windows 10 version number.

Doc

0 Kudos
CYang79
Beginner

Like I have said my laptop is shut off right now. I don’t think it is necessary to get my nvida drivers from Asus. They are slow at releasing updates but for my next one I will get it from Asus.

Also I am here to see if it could just be the CPU itself because it should be great at handling these tasks.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

The cpu is not the problem. You simply do not want to use the advice provided.

Also, you can TURN ON your laptop and provide the Windows 10 version number.

Regarding the drivers, you wanted advice on your freezing issue. I provided it. If you choose to not use the asus drivers, you are only hurting yourself.

And, I say it one last time, ASUS is solely responsible for support and warranty of your laptop. Contact asus for support.

Doc

0 Kudos
CYang79
Beginner

First of all it is 12 at night and I don’t want to turn it on. And second, your advice is crappy. I have had multiple windows updates and the problem still persists. And thank you for telling my warranty is from Asus, I had not known that🙄. If your here to tell people to go get support somewhere else, then what is the point of this support.

Im here because of my previous encounter with Asus support. If your going to continue to tell me the obvious about keeping my drivers updated, did u shut it down and turn it back and and etc, save your time. You’re not as good as you think you are.

I’ve read your reply’s on other threads, stop pushing people away that are seeking help. Don’t respond if your answer is go get support from your manufacturer.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You are not listening. With dual graphics, there are modifications required to the drivers to make them work properly. You need to get the drivers for your dual graphics from Asus.

It may be 12 at night, but you are still up, and could have spent one minute turning on the laptop to get the version number. That you are so reluctant to provide it makes me wonder why.

You can have multiple windows updates to 1803, or to 1709, or what ever. Being on the supported version of Window 10 (currently 1803 and 1809) is important. You need to understand this.

I could care less about your encounter with asus support. They made your laptop. You purchased the laptop from them. The laptop is an asus product, not an intel product. asus is responsible for your support.

The fact is, for all laptops, the laptop manufacturer is responsible for support. You may take that anyway you want.

Now, stop wasting time, turn on the laptop, and get the version number.

Doc

0 Kudos
CYang79
Beginner

My windows version is 1803, why is my window version so important?

As you mention dual graphics I also realize that I get degraded graphics performance after a while. But performance does get restored after every nvida update.

Also you are confident that my graphic drivers are causing my stuttering every time I download or load something?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

The version is important because of support. Some drivers will not install, or will not install correctly if the windows version is not current or supported. So, congratulations. You are not on the latest version (1809), but you are still supported. Now, it is not that difficult to get to 1809. You should really plan ahead a bit, because, in a couple of weeks, 1903 will be released and it will not be long before 1803 is unsupported. You can get the current version of Windows 10 here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I cannot guarantee that the drivers are the issue. But, there have been reports of freezing and discussion about the switching time between graphics. So, it is a good first step in debugging this problem (which should really be done with - drum roll - ASUS).

Personally, I would update to 1809, use only the ASUS drivers, and roll back any customizations you have done (undervolting, e.g.) and test the laptop. Also, are you using any real-time anti-virus other than Windows Defender? That could easily affect performance during your download or load. I would test by disabling real-time virus checking if using something other Windows Defender. I know you like the undervolting, but we are trying to isolate a problem, so let us make the environment as clean and pure as possible.

So, in summary:

• Get on 1809
  • Remove the under-volting
  • Get the latest drivers for Intel and nvidia from ASUS. Install them in the order recommended by ASUS.
  • Disable real-time anti-virus if using something other than WD. This includes any cloud suite your AV may be providing.
  • Do not use the Intel DSA

Then, test your laptop.

Doc

0 Kudos
CYang79
Beginner

So I would first need to uninstall my graphics driver and GeForce Experience? And then update both my nvidia and Intel graphics from Asus.

I have free version of Bitdefender, and I think it does have real time protection.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You would need to remove all of the Intel and Nvidia drivers (including the Geforce experience).

To do this, I would download the latest Intel and nvidia drivers from asus.

Then, I would disconnect from the net (disable or unplug)

Next, in the device manager, I would uninstall each adapter with the delete box checked, which will require a restart.

Do this until you get to the "microsoft basic display adapter" for both adapters.

Then, install the intel and nvida drivers you downloaded. There is an order, but I cannot remember which is first. Sorry, but you may confirm the order with asus.

Once both adapters are installed, reconnect to the net.

Regarding bitdefender, I would get rid of it.

Doc

0 Kudos
CYang79
Beginner

Thank you, and I apologize that I undermined your expertise. I have updated graphic drivers and the issue does not persist anymore. I undervolted, and did not uninstall BitDefender and it still works well. I am also on windows 1809 as well.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

A common reason for them to modify the drivers is to allow both the Intel HD Graphics and the NVIDIA HD Graphics engines to remain enabled and support switching back and forth between which engine is active. This is necessary to support such capabilities as Blueray playback, which requires that the Intel engine be active to perform DRM verification. If you are using the generic drivers from Intel and/or NVIDIA, then you will not have customizations such as this working and a particular engine may get stuck active. This is why you saw the graphics lag; the Intel engine was active and the NVIDIA engine could not be made active. Upgrading the NVIDIA driver changed this (because it forced the NVIDIA engine active).

Bottom line, Al is correct; you should be using only the drivers from Asus and you should not be using IDSA as it may update something it shouldn't.

Al was asking for your Windows version because we keep running into people who are having problems as a result of being on older, unsupported Windows 10 versions. As he mentioned, Intel is not supporting releases older than 1803.

As for pushing people away, we see way, way too many cases where people are here asking for help simply because their vendor is not providing the help that they require - or worse, the vendor actually tells them to contact Intel instead of them. This has to change. These vendors are trying to avoid the cost of providing you with support. If they can successfully deflect people to Intel's support, they win financially. They get to pocket the money that you paid them for this support (that they aren't providing). Don't let them get away with this.

...S

0 Kudos