Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

I7-9700K

Timlab55
Beginner

Recently, I learned that in Windows 10 pro, I can control the my chip with power options.  I currently run a program called Handbrake which if you know the program loves to rap up my processor.  First time I ran the program it got the temp up there really quick to the point that I had to shut it down.  So I did some research on the problem and found out to use the power option method in controlling the temp of my processor.  My question is in my power option I have it set to balanced, and then down under "Processor Power Management", I have under "Maximum Processor State" I have it set for 85%.  Does this hurt the processor by any chance when I use this method in controlling my chip to run a program?   

0 Kudos
30 Replies
Timlab55
Beginner

Have you had time to check with your experts on this matter?

Thanks

Dan

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, sorry, I haven't got a response from them yet. I will have to ping them again.

So I thought about it some more. If you had the maximum for Windows set to 85%, it is unlikely (not guaranteed; just unlikely) that you are going to see any of these indicators going to yes. Thermal Throttling, BTW, going to yes means that the processor is at or above its Tjmax (Maximum Junction Temperature) threshold and is throttling the clock frequencies to protect from overheating.

...S

0 Kudos
Timlab55
Beginner

Well today has been a bless day for me.  Let me see maybe not.  Anyway, I order and install a new cooling tower yesterday and I must say that this thing is awesome sauce.  Out of all the fans that I can watch what they are doing it has cooled down the CPU, plus turns off one of my fans on top, when not doing anything.  I've never had that happen before.  With the load currently right now using Intel ETU, (5% utilization), Package Temperature at 41 C.  While playing my games earlier, my package temp I believe never even came close to 55C and the utilization was about 50%.  However, I don't know if I still have a problem.  Using the Intel ETU program to do benchmarking with it, it runs with no problems.  When I go to stress test tho, for 1 min, no problem, when I do it for 5 mins tho is the problem I stop it because it shows that a message comes up stating "The CPU Power Throttled".  I don't like warning signs.  Another sign that comes up is when I'm using HWiNFO64 and running Handbrake, it states under DTS it states "Power Limit Exceeded".  Can you explain these two things to me, to the point that I can understand them as you have in the pass.  

In addition to all this, I downloaded a program from Intel called "The Intel Performance Maximizer"?  It sounds like it could overclock my system to run all cores at 5.0 or higher.  Would it be worth finding out as I have no clue about overclocking a system and what is exactly right for my system. 

O yea, I forget to tell you about the cooling tower.  It's the "Cooler Master", Hyper 212 EVO.  The one spec I was looking for was the airflow.  My old unit that I had had a CFM of 54, this one has 98 and with what I do with it, I don't even hear it.  I also moved my PC from the floor from under the desk to the top of the desk.

So, again, I figure I would like to you know what I have done to make this a better machine.  Now if I can just get handbrake to run without any adjustments, that would be great.

Let me hear from you soon.

Dan 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Going back to the beginning, I said a couple of things,

• Make sure the air feeding into the processor cooling solution is as cool as possible. It sounds like you are doing this.
  • Make sure that the cooling solution for the processor is properly attached to the processor (i.e. the Thermal interface material (TIM) is effectively allowing heat to flow from the processor into the solution's thermal mass).
  • Make sure that the programming of the processor cooling solution's response is going to ensure that the fan(s)/blower(s)/pump(s) are speeding up as the processor temperature rises and that the fan(s)/blower(s)/pump(s) are running at 100% duty cycle if the temperature is above, say, 85c. This is done in the BIOS configuration. How it is represented in your system will be different from one motherboard vendor to another and sometimes even from one motherboard to another, so I cannot provide any recommendations or details for what you should see. If you have problems with this, you will need to send me photos of the BIOS Setup pages.

Ok, if you are seeing average temperatures, under heavy load, approaching your processor's Tjmax (~100c), then something is wrong. Look at these things in reverse order. That is, make sure the programming is right first. If it appears to be yet the temperature is rising too far, then either your cooling solution is inadequate (can't handle the TDP of the processor) or it is not extracting the heat from the processor properly (i.e. cooling solution is broken of not properly/effectively attached).

Hope this summarizes it well enough.

...S

0 Kudos
Timlab55
Beginner

GM Scott;

I would like to clear something up, in my last post, I mentioned ETU, that was suppose to be XTU.  Sorry.  In your reply I was kinda of hoping you would touch on some important things for me.  They are:

#1:  What is going on when I go to stress test tho, for 1 min, no problem, when I do it for 5 mins tho is the problem I stop it because it shows that a message comes up stating "The CPU Power Throttled".

#2:  When I'm using HWiNFO64 and running Handbrake, it states under DTS it states "Power Limit Exceeded".  I think I solved this one by allowing Handbrake to only use 4 of the cores and not all 8.  But I'm still wondering about this one.

#3:  I downloaded a program from Intel called "The Intel Performance Maximizer"?  It sounds like it could overclock my system to run all cores at 5.0 or higher.  Would it be worth finding out as I have no clue about overclocking a system and what is exactly right for my system.

If you could respond to these 3 questions I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Dan

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Answers by the numbers...

1. I don't (and won't) run XTU, so I have no idea what is going on there. I also won't waste my time explaining it; there's a good introduction to Power Throttling here: https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2017/04/18/introducing-power-throttling/.
  2. The Power Limit Exceeded message is essentially the same as the CPU Power Throttled message.
  3. Sure, but understand that this is overclocking and, if something goes wrong, you've voided your warranty. There's a review of the tool here: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-cpu-auto-overclock-performance-maximizer,6179.html.

...S

0 Kudos
Timlab55
Beginner

Thanks for the info, as that's what I'm needing.  As for the warranty part, I did purchase the warranty from Intel, are you going to tell me I wasted my $19.99?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, that protects you. You are the first person I have seen actually purchase it!

...S

0 Kudos
Timlab55
Beginner
0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Timlab55, Thank you very much for providing those details.

It is actually a very good thing to have the Intel® Tuning Protection plan, because if something happens to the Intel® Processor we will be able to replace it for you, thank you very much for that.

Just to let you know, if you continue seeing overheating issues, BSOD, freezes, or CPU stop working due to the overclocking, you can always get in contact directly with us through Chat or Phone support and we will be more than glad to check the warranty options on your Intel® Processor. 

Chat support:

http://intelsupportchat.force.com/icslivechat/ics_tech_processor_ww_english_Chat,

For phone support, depending on your location, you will see the contact information on the links below:

EMEA contact information: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support/emea-contact.html

APAC contact information: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support/apac-contact.html

LAR contact information: https://www.intel.la/content/www/xl/es/support/contact-support/lar-contact.html

North America: Phone Number 1-916-377-7000, Monday – Friday 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM (Pacific Time).

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos