Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14538 Discussions

I7 Sandy Bridge Recall

idata
Employee

So i just purchased the sandy bridge i7 1155 and know im finding out their is a recall

One page says sandy bridge is not affected, but another page uses the terminology that the cougar point with sandy bridge is being recalled

I am really CORNFUSED, PLEASE Help

Do I send it back or not????

0 Kudos
109 Replies
idata
Employee

I don't think they meant that only 5% of the motherboards would have to be fixed. I believe what they are saying is that everyone of these chipsets have the issue, however the likliehood of the fault occuring is only 5%, which, IMO, is an absurd statement. A company would not throw away millions of dollars on the possibility that something "could" go wrong in 5% of cases. A company will spend millions of dollars on something that will go wrong with a majority of their product. That is just smart business intelligence and common sense.

I do agree that there is a much larger issue than the one being presented here. The fact that no one besides Intel can even replicate the error should not be taken as a positive here, it should be viewed for what it is--a clever cover story and PR spin to conceal what the real issue is. Try to view it from Intel's side. They cause a panic with their original announcement, knowing full well that evryone and their uncle will immediately start trying to replicate the issue, then, once no one does, they come along and say that obviously they were just looking out for their customers and playing it safe. Then they look like the heroes, championing the rights of their customers by erring on the side of caution. It is a brilliant PR move and a great way to hide what is really going on.

It was also a great time for them to get these products out to the market with not much else going on atm. This way they secured those customers at that time, instead of waiting another 6 months down the road and having to compete with other products. The money they earned by doing things this way was probably factored into the equation before hand, accounting for the 700 million in recall funds, and once you factor in the losses they would have if they waited the six months and had competition, it was probably still more lucrative to do things this way.

Either way, Intel is not an innocent in this situation. It is one of their making, both planned and deliberate in some way, shape or form and honesty on Intel's side definitely did not factor into the equation here. That is just my 2 cents, though, take it as you will.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Of course....If all brand (Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, Intel etc...) motherboard have faulty the Sandy chipset. Who should return to RMA. I don't want waste destroy a faulty new motherboard.

Great idea, Those faulty new motherboard make a new frame with word "Intel did FAULT a Sandy Chipset !, 2011"on the wall

or Show the Demo faulty new motherboard fit the rotary with Company label . Who keen buy $50 make refund a resume Intel 2nd Generation Chipset.

What you think ?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Right now and for the forseable future (ie the next couple/few months) that's about all they are good for.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have ordered a new PC for my self 14 days ago, and the parts (including the new chipset is now delayed). Needless to say, it nags me a bit - but I'd rather wait and then get a working PC instead. Since I'm planning on having 4 harddrives (2 in RAID0 + 2 individual storage drives + a bluray writer + DVD writer..."just" using the 2 6Gbit S-ATA ports isn't an option.

Some day, the pen-pushers need to start listening to engineers and technicians...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, if you send the motherboard to the store where purchased, contact the store.

Here a Review for Latin America of the New Intel Sandy Bridge 2600k and 2500k