Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14499 Discussions

I9 7940X temps at 102 when rendering??? 360 master cooler with with 9 case fans - nine. Thoughts???

BNeum1
Beginner

At stock clocks - I’ve done many builds, this chip is throtteling when rendering. Despite being watercooled. I’ve changed the thermal paste twice. Done all the normal things you do doing any number of builds. Sits at 35C unless under load then slams up to 104 on cores. My old 5960x blows it away rendering because of the throttling. The 5960 is overclocked quite a bit but still rarely hits the upper 50s maxed. I know everyone seems to diss these chips as the chips that made de-Lidding mandatory. I don’t want to void the warranty on this expensive egg cooker. Any suggestions? Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello BNeum1

Thank you for the information.

I am noticing that you have a case open in our web portal support reporting the same issue. I would recommend continuing the assistance in that support.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello BNeum1 Thank you for posting in the Intel Community. • Is the motherboard BIOS up to date? • Is the system BIOS working on default settings? • What is your system configuration? (motherboard brand and model, RAM brand and model, cooling solution brand and model, chassis brand and model, fans dimensions and models). • Run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool) and the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-) on the system and provide me with the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool.txt system report and screenshots of the Intel® XTU bench marking test results. NOTE: a- in case you need assistance to complete or load BIOS steps we recommend contacting the Motherboard Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM). b- To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box (the clip symbol). Hope this helps. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
BNeum1
Beginner

Cores hit 103 running the test - files attached

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello BNeum1

Thank you for the information.

I am noticing that you have a case open in our web portal support reporting the same issue. I would recommend continuing the assistance in that support.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos