Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14397 Discussions

INTEL DIAGNOSTIC TOOL FAILING (Brand String + CPUFreq)

Temp303
Beginner

I'm having massive problems with my new Alienware Aurora R13 and with the new Intel® Core™ i9-12900KF CPU. The processor throttles in almost all benchmarks after a short time and reaches a temperature of 100°C.

I using the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility Tool and set the Core Voltage Offset to -0.100V. I also throttled the performance cores a bit. Nevertheless, I get EDP Limit Throttling displayed and in Cinebench R23 I have values ​​between 20.000 and 24.000 points (which is too little for the CPU).

I also get 2 error messages in the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool. I get rid of the brand string with Tools/Stop Testing on Fail. But why do I get an error message at CPUFreq even though I reset the CPU to the default values?.

Please help Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
13 Replies
JosueO_Intel

Hello Temp303,

Thank you for posting on the Intel communities. In order to have a better understanding of the issue, please share with us the following information: 

1. When did the issue start happening?
  2. Have you reported the issue with Dell?
  3. How are you monitoring the temperature of the processor?

Also, please download and install the Intel System Support Utility (Intel SSU):

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- 

Open the application and select "Everything" click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel SSU will take you to the "Summary View". Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

Click on "Next", save the report and attach it to your response.

Regards, 

Josue O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Temp303
Beginner

Hello Josue O. ,

thanks for the quick reply and your help.

1. I've had the problem since I got the Aurora R13 (about 1.5 weeks ago)
2. Yes I have... but the only support I get from Dell is to send the computer back (because of the 14-day right of return, but I would like to keep the PC)
3. With various monitoring software....HWinfo64, ThrottleStop and the Intel Extreme Utility...whereby XTU hits the most and shows a throttling in the shortest possible time.

I installed SSU and saved the log file for you.

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello Temp303,

Thank you for the information provided, please also let me know if you have gotten any BSODs due to this issue. 

In this case, it is important for you to know that the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool (Intel® IPDT) is not compatible with the processor you are using. This is causing the errors that you are seeing when running the tool. 

It is also worth mentioning that the maximum temperature support by your processor is 100°C, it is normal to see peaks in the temperature when performing high demanding tasks, however, system manufacturers can change these specifications when integrating the processor into their system, our recommendation is to check with them for the supported temperature of their system. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
Temp303
Beginner

Hello again Josue O.,

Thank you for the feedback.

I had some BSODs, but they were caused by me. I previously set the Core Voltage Offset to -0.200V. The CPU stayed pleasantly cool and I hardly experienced any throttling. I also achieved very good values ​​in the benchmarks. Unfortunately, I often had BSODs, so I set the Core Voltage Offset to -0.100V, the computer is now running stably, but still not satisfactorily.

I didn't know that the Intel® IPDT is not compatible with my I9-12900KF, will there be an update in the foreseeable future?

Despite the best possible CPU cooling that Dell offers (Cryo-Tech), I don't have any temperature peaks in the performance mode of the fan cooling, but constant throttling in benchmarks and games. HWinfo64 flashes red like a Christmas tree. This results in the poor performance of the 12900KF. The only remedy here would probably be to undervolt the CPU. Unfortunately, I haven't found an optimal setting for this yet. Since the mainboard bios is very limited, I can't make any settings here and therefore have to use XTU.

Unfortunately, contacting Dell Support is a disaster, because apart from vouchers or sending the entire computer back, Dell doesn't really offer a solution.

I was hoping that Intel could give me direct help because the Alienware Aurora R13 was created in cooperation with Intel.

Thanks in advance  and best regards

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello Temp303,

You are very welcome, in this case, I would like to let you know that a new version of IPDT will be released with compatibility for 12th gen processors, however, there is ETA for this to get released. 

Regarding the issues, please try running the system on default settings and values and perform a stress test with Intel® XTU. Let us know the results of the test.

Also, please let me know if the processor was overclocked or if you just change the voltages. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
Temp303
Beginner

Hello again Josue O.,

thank you for your support. I have attached 2 screenshots to this message.

Screenshot 1 "default_settings", is the PC as I connected and checked it "out of the box". According to XTU, the I9 is ​​configured to default here. As you can see from the screenshot, I have permanent thermal throttling, as well as current/EDP limit throttling. With benchmarks such as Cinebench R23, I have the worst benchmark results with the default settings.

On screenshot 2 "modified_settings" I have set the "Core Voltage Offset", the "Performance Cores Cache Voltage Offset" and the "Efficient Cores Cache Voltage Offset" in XTU to -0.100 V. The cooling fits here and the computer is also much quieter. I also have better benchmark results here, but they still do not correspond to the CPU, probably due to the permanent current/EDP limit throttling that is also displayed in XTU.

What am I doing wrong here, or how do I get the throttling under control?

and sorry for my english. The topic is a bit complicated and I use a translation program here! 

Thank you in advance and have a nice weekend!

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Temp303, 

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Temp303, 

To continue with the investigation, I would like to confirm the following:

1. Where did the "Core Voltage Offset", the "Performance Cores Cache Voltage Offset" and the "Efficient Cores Cache Voltage Offset" change before or after the issue started?

2. You mentioned that this happens when gaming, what games are being played/affected?

3. Does this happen when idle?

4. Is the computer experiencing shutdowns or crashes?

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello Temp303,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Let us know if you still need assistance.  

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
Temp303
Beginner

Hello DeividA and Josue_O,

thank you for your replys. I've been very busy, hence my late reply. Now to the questions you asked:

1. I made the changes after realizing the problem.
2. Star Citizen and Cyberpunk
3. No, I have between 50 and 60 degrees when idling (which is already too high when idling with water cooling)
4. No, I haven't noticed a crash or shutdown. There were only crashs and shutdowns caused by me because I was experimenting with XTU.

I was able to eliminate the thermal throttling by applying a better thermal paste (Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme). I also exchanged all installed fans by Dell to Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM chromax.black.swap. The Noctua fans don't give me better cooling, but the computer is much quieter under load.

I also lowered the TDP of the I9-12900KF to 125 watts (in the XTU tool I was given a standard value of 210 watts) and in boost (at 56 seconds) I set the CPU to 190 watts. Due to the change, I have now been able to reach my desired temperature under full load, but this in turn means that I have lost much performance. With these settings I have 18000 points in Cinebench R23, which is below the I7-12700KF.

I'm wondering why I have to do so much fine-tuning for a nearly 4K computer to make it run properly :-(.  The I9-12900KF just gets too hot with a 120mm AiO despite the new Kyro-Tech cooling .

Also, I just don't understand why this computer came onto the market like this, although even Intel advertises this computer on their websites. 

Maybe the Aurora R13 will run better with the I7-12700 ?, the I9 is ​​definitely unsuitable for the system.

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello Temp303,

Thank you for all the information provided, I will continue checking the issue internally and post back son with more details. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello Temp303,

In this case, we recommend that you directly contact Intel Customer Support to initiate the RMA process (you cannot do this through the forums). Here are pages where you can look up contact information, including local/country phone numbers, by geography: 

• U.S. and Canada: Intel Customer Support 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html 

• Europe, Middle East, and Africa: Intel Customer Support EMEA  

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support/emea-contact.html 

• Asia-Pacific: Intel Customer Support APAC  

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support/apac-contact.html 

• Latin America: Intel Customer Support LAR  

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support/lar-contact.html 

• You can use the online forms service or email, but I actually recommend calling them directly. The above links provide local or toll-free numbers in most countries and support most local languages.

Please make sure to refer to this thread when creating the case, this will allow the Customer Support agents to get the information they need. 

Hope this information is useful, please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding.  

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
Exon
Beginner
I also I am also having current /esd throttling and thermal throttling with no over clocks set to my aurora R13. Ran a stress test on XTU2 and kept having the same issue with throttling. Can’t even run cinebench without all my cores reaching 100c and throttling. Please help this isn’t supposed to be happening to a base clocked cpu gpu
0 Kudos