Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14504 Discussions

IPDT Burn-In test behaviour

GNapo1
Beginner

Hi everybody,

I used Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool to test my i7-4790 CPU.

At first I used the default test and got a green "Pass", I then ran a "Burn-In" test and again I got a green "Pass" but I noticed something and being pretty new to this program I don't know if it's its normal behaviour.

My Mother Board is Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H and I have 8 GB DDR3 RAM installed.

I use the integrated processor graphics, by the way.

So I started the Burn-In test, for at least the first hour I didn't notice anything. During the second hour the following events occurred a few times, randomly:

- the program window disappeared for a few seconds (like it was iconized) then reappeared

- the program entered in a non-responsive status for a few minutes, then continued to run.

- at the very end of the test the monitor started to "flash" for about 20-30 seconds (like the program window was iconized and restored very quickly many times).

As I said at the end I got a green "Pass" screen.

Is the described behaviour normal?

Thank You

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello TSMV,

Thank you for joining the Processors Community. I am sorry to hear you are having issues with this matter.

The behavior you described indicates a freezing scenario; although, is not completely normal is considered expected. Bear in mind that Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool runs intensive tasks on the processor and depending on the CPU usage from apps it could take your processor up to a 100% causing these random behaviors. Since the tool is passing the test each time, your computer should be fine. There are couple suggestions you could try in case this is interfering with your day to day computer usage, suggestions like update your BIOS, Chipset driver and Management Engine driver.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
GNapo1
Beginner

Hello Amy and thanks for replying.

Although your reply sounds vaguely like: "The sword of Damocles is hanging above your head"

I must confess I don't get what the sentence "although, is not completely normal is considered expected" exactly means.

To me it's either normal (and expected) or it's not normal (and so, unexpected).

Please elaborate a little bit more, if you can.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sure /thread/119601 TSMV, what I mean by that is that your computer can behave like you mentioned taking in consideration that these tests are meant to stress the system in order to take the most out of it, and depending on the processes that CPU is running along with the IPDT test, the system will use all the resources at full capacity and randomly behave. This does not mean that your processor or components are faulty, you can confirm that because it passes the test, this only means that the tool it's doing its job stressing the processor with the purpose of finding any fault. You mentioned that this behavior happens with the Burn-In test, this test basically runs all the possible tests on the processor.

I am going to run some tests with the Burn-In test, and let you know the results.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
GNapo1
Beginner

Thanks again!

If I got it right from IPDT user guide, Default Test performs all the tests once while Burn-In does the same but for two hours.

I will be waiting for news then.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

That is correct /thread/119601 TSMV, the Burn In Test enables all IPDT features and runs IPDT stress test for 120 minutes.

I ran test on a Surface Pro 4 which is a mobile platform. And, the behavior was not exactly the same as the one you mentioned but it freeze for a couple of times while running the test and at the end of the test the result was passed. When running the test, I tried to minimize the window but it took a while, this was expected since all the processor resources were used in the test. This why I believe that the scenario you are facing is normal but at the same time is considered expected. The processor usage is 100% while running the Burn In Test, background processes can be killed and could make the system have that behavior. There is one more thing that the guide states, see below;

"Some power management features throttle or reduce the operating frequency of components within the system. These types of power management features may result in very low tested frequency results. This does not mean that the processor is operating at degraded performance levels. It means that the enabled power management feature is optimizing the efficiency of the processor, either to save power or reduce heat within the system. We recommend you disable any power management features such as Intel SpeedStep® technology and configure your system to its optimal power management settings, when Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool."

The paragraph adds more to the concept that I am trying to share with you, the system can go through a lot of processes while running a intensive CPU task, and as long as the computer does not enter in BSOD's it should be fine.

If you have more questions, please let us know.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
GNapo1
Beginner

Funny thing is that today I got a nice BSOD!

I can't say if it is CPU related, I will try to investigate and post in this thread again as soon as I have news.

Thank you very much for your kind help!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sure, you're welcome.

Let me know your findings.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
GNapo1
Beginner

Dear Amy,

I tried to investigate the cause of the BSOD(s) (in the meantime I got another one) but I couldn't find anything definitive so I can't say if the problem is CPU related or not.

I just wanted to let you know and thank you again for your help.

Best Regards,

TSMV

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi TSMV,

Thank you for that information.

Check your inbox please, I have sent you a private message.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos