Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

If I mount the fan incorrectly could this cause a lot of excess noise?

JChen563
Beginner

My Computer was freezing the other day so i tried checking the cpu for whatever reason. When I tried to mount it back is started making much more noise than before. Whenever the CPU starts to gain more usage it will spin louder. This has never happened before.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You have a heat problem, and an installation problem.

Take your system to a local repair shop, when the lockdown ends.

Doc

0 Kudos
JChen563
Beginner

Can i still use it as it is though?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Depends what the heat situation. It sounds like the freezing you were experiencing before was due to overheating.

Now, you may have relieved it a bit, but you still have a problem.

Heat will damage your processor.

Make sure the heatsink is clean, use proper thermal paste, insure adequate ventilation.

Or, do not use it.

Doc

0 Kudos
JChen563
Beginner

I think i fixed the freezing problem by cleaning out the dust filter which was below the PSU. Thats also when i decided to dismount the fan and attempt to put mount it again

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Any time that you separate the heatsink-fan unit from the processor, you need to clean the surfaces of both the heatsink and the processor and then apply new Thermal Interface Material (TIM, a.k.a. heat paste) between the. The fan is running faster because the heat from the processor cannot transfer into the heatsink efficiently and thus is building up. The fan speed controller is speeding up the fan trying to compensate, but to no avail. You need to replace the TIM.

...S

0 Kudos