Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14511 Discussions

Install new CPU on the motheboard and ESD precautions (questions and videos)

Piotr
Novice

Dear Intel Employers and Community,

I have some question about  ESD precautions. I know that ideal practice is have to same potential like devices so I should have ESD mat and esd wrist strap connected to the ground but i have some questions because anyone can't answer me:

- If I will install CPU on motheboard and I will do this on properly grounded ESD mat. Next I want to put motherboard to the case so the question is I should put the case on ESD mat or case should be on the table near ESD mat?

- If I don't have ESD mat I should put motherboard on the clean table or better practice is put motherboard on ESD bag which motherboard come from? I find old video from Intel and they said that motherboard must be placed on ESD safe but their put motherboard on ESD bag: https://youtu.be/AyKPsS8GX3I?t=46

I heard that ESD bag is not good for motherboard and better is place on the table or box if we don't have ESD mat: https://youtu.be/jQRIzgEVsjI?t=35

Linus said that outside of the ESD bag is conductive and this is not good for devices but Intel employer on their video putted motherboard on the bag. Who is wrong?

If someone from Intel will answer me I will be happy.

Thanks for your time!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello Piotr,

Thank you for your patience.

We understand that you are trying to avoid any damage on sensitive components while building the computer, however, please keep in mind that the built of a full system is out of the scope of our support as it involves some other precautions with different components such as motherboards, GPU, among others.

On our side, we take all the precautions while building or setting a system together (ESD mat, ESD footwear & Wrist Strap) following the protocol of the association EOS/ESD and place the case on the ESD mat.

In case you are interested and need an exact answer for the different scenarios that you place, we would kindly recommend visiting the ESD Association* Training & Education for the courses and certifications that they offer or contact the manufacturer of these products to get further assistance.

That being said, we consider that you would need direct assistance from specialized support, or the manufacturer of these ESD components to provide an accurate answer and keep the integrity of all your computer.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored.

Esteban D.  

Intel Technical Support Technician  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello Piotr,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

I would like to inform you that we would like to review this information internally in order to provide the best and right information to you.

In the meantime, I want to share with you our guide for Electrostatic Discharge and Electrical Overstress Guide:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/quality/ch3-esd-eos-guide.html

There, you can find some useful recommendations.

Please let us know if the guide was useful for you.

Esteban D. 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Oh, I am sure that that Intel employee turned that bag inside out before using it like that 

...S

0 Kudos
Piotr
Novice

Thank you for your time. I will be waiting for you answer.

This guide I readed earlier before you writed post on my topic: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/quality/ch3-esd-eos-guide.html

I want to write that I know that I should use ESD mat and wrist-strap properly grounded but my PC case are painted so like we know paint is non conductive, it is isolator. I don't know if I should put this PC case on ESD mat when I will install motherboard in this PC case. I readed old book and author said that I should not put PC case on ESD mat. I also readed a lot of articles on the internet and I watched your video about ESD but this is not answered  for my question about PC case and ESD practices.

I also want to know the best practices if we don't have ESD mat. Where we should put motherboard ?

My friend also want to build PC and his situation is more complicated because he also know that ESD is important and he want to buy ESD accessories like ESD mat and wrist strap but he can't connect ESD mat to the ground because his electrical installation at home don't have ground. He have two cables in walloutlet: blue - neutral and brown - phase. I think that he can't connect to the neutral because this is too much risky. If he will buy ESD mat and wrist strap and he will not connect to the ground this is will be better than build PC without ESD mat and wrist strap? It will be less risky than without ESD mat or this will be the same?

0 Kudos
Piotr
Novice

I readed your ESD guide before you posted in this topic. It is useful but don't answer for my all questions.

I want to know if I should put my PC case on the ESD mat when I will be install motherboard on the PC case? My PC case is painted so it is non conductive. Painting is isolator so my PC case I think will be not grounded when I will be put on ESD mat. My thinking is correct? I readed old book about repairing computers and author said that we should not put PC case on ESD mat. Why? He said that on ESD mat should be only sensitive devices. He also mentioned that we can connect ESD mat to the PC case but actually it is more complicated because now we have painted PC case. In 1999 year PC case inside was bare metal. So now Imust know what I should do. What is best practices in my case?

I want to also know about best practices when we don't have ESD mat. Where we should put motherboard?  Why I asked about it? My friend also want to build PC but his situation is more complicated. He know that ESD is important and he would like to buy ESD accessories but he don't know if it will be works for his because he will can not connect ESD mat to the ground because he has old electrical installation on his home so he have not ground. On his walloutlet are only two cables. First is blue - this is neutreal and second is brown - this is phase. I think that he should not connect to the neutral cable. It can be too risky so I have question. If he will buy ESD mat and he will not connect to the ground it will be less risky build than without ESD mat or this will be the same and he should not buy ESD accessories if he can't connect it to the ground?

0 Kudos
Piotr
Novice

I very sorry that I posted two the same posts but your website I think is little buggy because when I upload my post I noticed information about error and when I checked on this topic my post was not shown so I decided upload post again but after few days I can see that all my post now are shown. It is strange.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello Piotr,

Thank you for your patience.

We understand that you are trying to avoid any damage on sensitive components while building the computer, however, please keep in mind that the built of a full system is out of the scope of our support as it involves some other precautions with different components such as motherboards, GPU, among others.

On our side, we take all the precautions while building or setting a system together (ESD mat, ESD footwear & Wrist Strap) following the protocol of the association EOS/ESD and place the case on the ESD mat.

In case you are interested and need an exact answer for the different scenarios that you place, we would kindly recommend visiting the ESD Association* Training & Education for the courses and certifications that they offer or contact the manufacturer of these products to get further assistance.

That being said, we consider that you would need direct assistance from specialized support, or the manufacturer of these ESD components to provide an accurate answer and keep the integrity of all your computer.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored.

Esteban D.  

0 Kudos
Piotr
Novice

Thank you very much for answer. This not answer my all questions but I appreciate that you worked for answer for my questions. Thank you for your time!

0 Kudos