Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14539 Discussions

Instant heating I5-10300H at 100% load

Марат
Beginner
  • Hello. I purchased a new laptop with an i5-10300H processor. With a CPU load of 100% within a few seconds it heats up to 100 degrees with a working cooling system. What will happen if the computer will operate for a long time at a critical temperature and should I contact the laptop manufacturer in this case?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

It is obviously NOT a working cooling subsystem if it is not responding to the temperature rise with increased fan speed. If the fans are reaching full speed (100% duty cycle) and the temperature is continuing to rise, this is an indication of an inadequately designed and executed cooling system, a problem that I am seeing more and more often; the vendors are shipping crap products.

...S

0 Kudos
Марат
Beginner

But what can happen if the computer stays at a critical temperature for a long time? HP's support assures me that this is the norm, but I think this is not at all the case

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

When the temperature reaches the processor's Maximum Junction Temperature (Tjmax), the processor will automatically throttle the performance of the system in order to protect it from thermal overrun. If the temperature continues to rise, it will eventually reach the THERMTRIP threshold and the system will be immediately and abruptly powered off.

These protection mechanisms should NEVER be considered as a way to manage temperatures. The cooling system is responsible for keeping the temperature below Tjmax. The processor should NEVER have to throttle itself. If the cooling solution is not keeping the temperature below this level, then it is poorly designed and grossly inadequate.

The slimy vendors are using this as a way to get away with shipping cheap, inadequate cooling solutions while still charging full price for it (they get to pocket the difference). Similarly, they charge full price for support yet you regularly hear them not responding to users pleas for help. Bottom line, there is a really good reason why I will NEVER own a Dell or HP system ever again.

...S

0 Kudos