Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14534 Discussions

Intel 11 gen on Z490 motherboard?

Ruskie
Beginner

Hi! As we know the Z490 motherboards will be compatible with intels coming 11 gen processors, but i wonder, is it in any way suboptimal to run a new gen processor on an older chipset? Like AMD's 500 series on B550 boards? The reason i'm asking is because before i knew that intel was going to release their 11 gen during Q1 this year i bought the motherboard MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge WIFI because my original plan was to roll with an i5 10600k, but now i feel it's better to wait for the coming gen since they seem to be brutal in single core performance and cost about the same as the 10 gen.

8 Replies
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Ruskie, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

The 11th generation Intel CPUs have not been released yet, therefore, there is not much information publicly available yet. We recommend you to check the Intel Newsroom for updates about coming products https://newsroom.intel.com/news/intels-11th-gen-processor-rocket-lake-s-architecture-detailed/#gs.rwwgln  

As you mentioned, 11th gen CPUs will work with some Intel® Z490 and H470 chipset-based motherboards; however, the only information available is that they may require a BIOS update to boot the upcoming 11th Gen Intel® Core™ desktop processors. Intel recommends that you update the BIOS on your Intel 400 Series Chipset-based systems for compatibility with the upcoming 11th generation processors. You may want to ask the board manufacturer for further help on coming CPUs compatibility and BIOS releases. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058324/processors/intel-core-processors.html  

Once the products are available, more reviews and technical details will be available.  

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Ruskie,  

Were you able to check our previous response? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Ruskie,  

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance or if you have additional questions, please create a new thread and we will gladly assist you.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
manuelcastle
Beginner

I have a ROG STRIX Z490-E and ever since I upgraded to i7 11TH GEN I have not been able to play any games. I have tried many things and nothing yet. Its been two days of hard TS. If you guys hear something please drop a line. 

ASUS Mother Board BIOS: 2004 (BETA) Only update that supports 11th Gen processors. 

AlHill
Super User

I do not see any 11th gen processors on the supported list:

https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z490-e-gaming-model/helpdesk_cpu

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos
manuelcastle
Beginner

ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING | ROG Strix | Gaming Motherboards|ROG - Republic of Gamers|ROG Global (asus.com)

Check the above link. It was the main reason I decided to upgrade. I'm going through hell and back with all sorts of troubleshooting and nothing solved. 

Version 2004 Beta Version 2021/01/15 8.81 MBytes ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING BIOS 2004 -Support 11th Gen Intel® Core™ Processors - improve ReSizable BAR compatibility for NVIDIA RTX30 series graphics cards Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file (SZ490E.CAP) using BIOSRenamer.

Version 2004 Beta Version
2021/01/15 8.81 MBytes

ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING BIOS 2004
-Support 11th Gen Intel® Core™ Processors
- improve ReSizable BAR compatibility for NVIDIA RTX30 series graphics cards

Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file (SZ490E.CAP) using BIOSRenamer.

DOWNLOAD

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

If true, they need to update their supported CPU list.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

n_scott_pearson
Super User

And likely the microcode that they carry in this BIOS.

...S

0 Kudos