Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14499 Discussions

Intel 7820x Core CPU BSOD's

PKrza
Beginner

Configuration

Intel i7 7820x + MSI SLI PLUS x299. Last BIOS and drivers.

My problem

When Intel Turbo Bost is activated in BIOS, Photoshop CC 2017, Bridge CC 2017, After Effects CC 2017 crashes imidietly with BSOD.

When I disable Turbo Boost Max 3.0 nothing changes. It is impossible to deinstall Turbo Boost Max 3.0.

But when i deactivate Turbo Boost in BIOS Adobe program works perfect.

Other programs works normal in Turbo Boost.

Any solution for this problem ?

0 Kudos
43 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Piotr_K,

I understand your computer crashes when using Adobe programs if turbo boost is enabled. I apologize for the inconvenience, let me help on this matter.

It seems to be a problem with the turbo boost technology on the processor but I would like to confirm if this issue happens with another processor, have you tried another one?

Regards,

Allan J.
0 Kudos
PKrza
Beginner

Yes, computer crashes when I'm using Adobe programs. But I have noticed that only in Bridge, Photoshop and After Effects. In Illustrator, Lightrom, Premiere nothing happens. There are no problem with programs like Aida64, Prime95, Cinebench R15.038, Affinity Photo.

At first I thought that the problem is caused by graphics card nvidia quadro k620 but I had disabled Graphics Processor functions in Adobe programs and still this programs were crashing. By the way I used this card before in another platform and everything worked fine.

I had changed MB MSI SLI PLUS x299 and still I was getting crashes

Next step, I enabled Safe Mode in Windows 10 (64 bit) and crashes stopped. I've decided to disable Turbo Boost in BIOS and then Adobe programs stopped Crashes.

I dont have another processor. I bought a CPU on August 3. I replaced it because of a damage of one of Memory Channels. When i asked the shop where i bought that procesor for another one, they directed me to Intel with this problem.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Piotr_K,

Thank you for taking the time and update this thread.

The idea was to have another processor to test turbo boost technology, from the board or the processor itself, but at this stage, I recommend contacting Intel customer support and check for warranty options for your Intel® processor.

Please access the link below for contact information:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html

Regards,

Allan J.
0 Kudos
BCham3
Beginner

There is something worth mentioning that the OP hasn't touched upon.

This issue has arose with myself and many other (from what I see) i7-7820x users. The issue arose out of nowhere after everything was working perfectly with Turbo Boost enabled in the BIOS. This is an important fact that can't be ignored. Here are other threads with 7820x users running into this issue(note that we all have different motherboards, and the common factor is the 7820x CPU):

https://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/92743-whea-bsod-hal-dll-brand-new-i7-7820x-adobe-photoshop-cc.html Windows 10 Forums

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2378916

WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR / Windows 10 Pro / Aft... | Adobe Community

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/826718-x299-bsod/# comment-10393703 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/826718-x299-bsod/# comment-10393703

To me this looks to be a driver issue, but I believe this is a case that needs to be brought to Intel's attention regarding the i7-7820x.

0 Kudos
PKrza
Beginner

This is probably caused by errors in the BIOS

I've changed in MSI Command Center program processor Ratio:

from default

Core0 45 to 44 and

Core1 41 to 43

Other Cores without change.

What is Interesting, that the processor works like with the default Turbo Boost Max 3.0 setting. Max 4500 MHz, Turbo Boost 4300 MHz and Boost 4000 MHz.

Since I've done that, Adobe programs till present moment stopped Crashes.

However, the change of Ratio in BIOS does not work.

0 Kudos
BCham3
Beginner

I have an Asus MOBO so I need to find the setting you're referring to. However, the fact that everything was working fine with Adobe CC programs until last week, for me and the other users, means it has to be the fault of an update. I was able to use Adobe CC for a solid week, running test renders and all after building my PC. It seems there was an auto update somewhere and I haven't seen anyone point to which update it might have been. I think it was Friday or Saturday of last week when the issue popped up.

0 Kudos
sshat
Beginner

This was very helpful. Thanks for sharing this link with us BT Chamby. May the 7 kingdoms bestow their good fortunes upon you for this!

I followed up on the adobe forum and they had a solution which seems to work as of now. Keeping the finger crossed and hoping this will continue to run smoothly until intel can release a patch for the turbo boost technology. Seems to be problematic in my case. Cheers,

S

0 Kudos
DGrim2
Beginner

Found common theme on MOBO sites. Mine is MSI. Set CPU core voltage in to 1.2.

0 Kudos
sshat
Beginner

Hello, I'm also having a similar issue running I7- 7820x. I am able to boot adobe photoshop but am seeing a lot of instability when I use the color picker to sample a color. Being this is a vital and basic tool, and the repeated results for a BSOD, I cannot use this in any professional capacity. I bought the Asus Mobo Prime X299 Deluxe and was hoping this chipset would help me with rendering and digital painting. I am on the adobe Beta team as well as a professional concept artist for films so this is not my first rodeo. I am deeply disappointed. When loading 3d apps such as modo, I also get a crash upon immediate render. Also, I've noticed the network controller won't mount no matter what I try to do to update the driver. It just won't let me do it. I've also had my whole rig inspected and diagnosed by a highly recommended professional computer repair company thinking I was doing something wrong. Apparently, I wasn't. Just seems like this whole thing is pretty unstable. Please help. I really need to get this machine running.

I would also like to take second to say that I've contacted Asus and spoke with multiple tech independently of one another. At first I was running the I7-7740x processor in my Asus Prime Deluxe X299. Both processors are on "The Recommended" list of vendor parts. Both seem to be having a problem. After thorough testing on all my parts independently both from me and a professional tech, I'm convinced its the lack of support for these processors. I don't think the hardware is bad, per say, but perhaps the software support for this series to play nicely with the X299 chip set and with a Geforce 1080 Ti just does not exist. I don't really understand why a company would release a product and charge their user base so much money if its not been properly beta test or large swaths of folks seem to be encountering stability issues across the interwebs. I'm also deeply disappointed that after spending roughly $5,000 on premium parts, that I can't even use it and i've kept trying to trouble shoot. Again, multiple and independent sources have tested and verified all new premium parts from recommended vendors have all test well independently of one another. It is not a part issue. This seems like a driver issue. When will a new update be released? Please please help.

0 Kudos
WFung1
Beginner

I have a 7820X and a MSI x299 SLI PLUS motherboard. I also encountered this kind of BSOD.

My Solution to fixing this Photoshop BSOD when Intel turbo boost enabled is that you just need to set the "CPU Ratio Offset when running AVX" and "CPU Ratio Offset when running AVX-512" BIOS options to -2. It would fix the problem.

Right now, I could use Photoshop with Intel turbo boost enabled without any crash/BSOD. I guess the cause of it is because Photoshop is using AVX/AVX-512 instruction sets. And I guess 7820X coudln't execute AVX/AVX-512 at that turbo boost frequency reliably.

Hope you guys could also fix the problem by trying this solution.

0 Kudos
PKrza
Beginner

It looks like the avx ratio works best. Thank you for the hint.

0 Kudos
BCham3
Beginner

Anyone have asus motherboard? Im not sure where to find the core ratio settings in my BIOS.

0 Kudos
BCham3
Beginner

I have found the settings you are referring to(AVX OFFSET), however they are greyed out and say "auto" not sure what settings I need to change to be able to tweak those. Did anyone else run into this?

0 Kudos
WFung1
Beginner

From what I've read from the internet about ASUS BIOS, I think you need to set the Option "Ai Overclock Tuner" to "Manual" before you could set AVX offset ratio. (and it seems that you need to put 2 there instead of -2 because that BIOS option is called "AVX Instruction Core Ratio Negative Offset")

0 Kudos
sshat
Beginner

I am not clear if you guys are discussing ways to continue to be able to utilize the overclock potential of the processor, but I have basically uninstalled the intel turbo boost and things have been very stable. That said, I'm a bit disappointed still that I have an amazing processor that can't do what was advertised on it. But I'm hoping Intel will clear that up soon.

0 Kudos
LVanB
Beginner

Hi guys,

I've got the same problem, and I'm trying to set my AVX Offset and AVX 512 values to -2 as suggested. I've got an Gigabyte Aorus X299 gaming 7 motherboard, and I can't seem to give the AVX entries negative values. My options are Auto and 1 - 32. Any ideas??

0 Kudos
DZoel
Beginner

I've just rebuilt a brand new PC with a fresh install of windows, and all the major adobe software is causing BSOD's either at startup or shortly after starting. My specs are below:

Intel i7 7820X

Asus X299 TUF MK1

Asus Strix Geforce 1080 ti

64GB Kingston

Samsung 960 Pro M.2 SSD

These specs seem inline with other people having the same issue. Namely the CPU seems to be the common element. No amount of tinkering seems to be helping. Other software is 100% stable. I have been rendering with Cinema 4D all day long with zero issues. The issue only affects AE, Premier, and Photoshop.

All drivers and BIOS is fully up to date. This is quite frustrating as we use this computer in a production environment, and have been a loyal adobe customer for years. However I have not seen much in the form of support for myself and countless other peoples issues regarding this particular BSOD bug.

0 Kudos
PKrza
Beginner

wlfung proposed the best solution temporarily: you just need to set the "CPU Ratio Offset when running AVX" and "CPU Ratio Offset when running AVX-512" BIOS options to -2

Other is turn Off Turbo Boost in BIOS.

0 Kudos
KLevu
Beginner

I have similar problems

i7-7820X

ASUS X299-PRIME-A (BIOS 0702)

This causes turbo boost 3 to be turned off for me.

Photoshop does not BSOD

this is not a solution to the problem

you just need to set the "CPU Ratio Offset when running AVX" and "CPU Ratio Offset when running AVX-512" BIOS options to -2

Loading User Symbols

Loading unloaded module list

* Bugcheck Analysis *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 124, {0, ffffcc813d354028, b2000000, 70005}

Probably caused by : GenuineIntel

Followup: MachineOwner

---------

1: kd> !analyze -v

* Bugcheck Analysis *

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)

A fatal hardware error has occurred. Parameter 1 identifies the type of error

source that reported the error. Parameter 2 holds the address of the

WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure that describes the error conditon.

Arguments:

Arg1: 0000000000000000, Machine Check Exception

Arg2: ffffcc813d354028, Address of the WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure.

Arg3: 00000000b2000000, High order 32-bits of the MCi_STATUS value.

Arg4: 0000000000070005, Low order 32-bits of the MCi_STATUS value.

Debugging Details:

------------------

DUMP_CLASS: 1

DUMP_QUALIFIER: 400

BUILD_VERSION_STRING: 10.0.15063.608 (WinBuild.160101.0800)

SYSTEM_MANUFACTURER: System manufacturer

SYSTEM_PRODUCT_NAME: System Product Name

SYSTEM_SKU: SKU

SYSTEM_VERSION: System Version

BIOS_VENDOR: American Megatrends Inc.

BIOS_VERSION: 0702

BIOS_DATE: 08/08/2017

BASEBOARD_MANUFACTURER: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.

BASEBOARD_PRODUCT: PRIME X299-A

BASEBOARD_VERSION: Rev 1.xx

DUMP_TYPE: 2

DUMP_FILE_ATTRIBUTES: 0x8

Kernel Generated Triage Dump

BUGCHECK_P1: 0

BUGCHECK_P2: ffffcc813d354028

BUGCHECK_P3: b2000000

BUGCHECK_P4: 70005

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x124_GenuineIntel

CPU_COUNT: 10

CPU_MHZ: e10

CPU_VENDOR: GenuineIntel

CPU_FAMILY: 6

CPU_MODEL: 55

CPU_STEPPING: 4

CPU_MICROCODE: 6,55,4,0 (F,M,S,R) SIG: 2000026'00000000 (cache) 2000026'00000000 (init)

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: WIN8_DRIVER_FAULT

PROCESS_NAME: Photoshop.exe

CURRENT_IRQL: f

ANALYSIS_SESSION_HOST: SPY

ANALYSIS_SESSION_TIME: 09-15-2017 13:56:07.0060

ANALYSIS_VERSION: 10.0.15063.468 amd64fre

STACK_TEXT:

ffffe200`45a249b8 00000000`00000000 : 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : nt!KeBugCheckEx

STACK_COMMAND: kb

THREAD_SHA1_HASH_MOD_FUNC: 81a83ae0317433a47fcc36991983df3b6e638b71

THREAD_SHA1_HASH_MOD_FUNC_OFFSET: 6e16edd8c7dd677734fdbcd2397a2e35e9fae964

THREAD_SHA1_HASH_MOD: 76cd06466d098060a9eb26e5fd2a25cb1f3fe0a3

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: GenuineIntel

IMAGE_NAME: GenuineIntel

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 0

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0x124_GenuineIntel_PROCESSOR_MAE

BUCKET_ID: 0x124_GenuineIntel_PROCESSOR_MAE

PRIMARY_PROBLEM_CLASS: 0x124_GenuineIntel_PROCESSOR_MAE

TARGET_TIME: 2017-09-15T09:11:24.000Z

OSBUILD: 15063

OSSERVICEPACK: 608

SERVICEPACK_NUMBER: 0

OS_REVISION: 0

SUITE_MASK: 272

PRODUCT_TYPE: 1

OSPLATFORM_TYPE: x64

OSNAME: Windows 10

OSEDITION: Windows 10 WinNt TerminalServer SingleUserTS

OS_LOCALE:

USER_LCID: 0

OSBUILD_TIMESTAMP: 2017-09-05 07:09:34

BUILDDATESTAMP_STR: 160101.0800

BUILDLAB_STR: WinBuild

BUILDOSVER_STR: 10.0.15063.608

ANALYSIS_SESSION_ELAPSED_TIME: 33b

ANALYSIS_SOURCE: KM

FAILURE_ID_HASH_STRING: km:0x124_genuineintel_processor_mae

FAILURE_ID_HASH: {7c95de0c-286c-8226-45c2-422b4de101d6}

Followup: MachineOwner

---------

0 Kudos
KLevu
Beginner

ASUS updated BIOS 0802

With him, I no longer have this problem. I think, other manufacturers will do or have already done the same thing. I do not know what it was, but I have Photoshop running and working.

0 Kudos