Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

Intel 9th gen i5 proccessors fraud possible?

MTadz
Novice

Hi everyone!

Recently I have build a new computer and purchased the box version of the i5-9600K processor. The box was sealed and when I started my new PC in bios (of z390 Asrock Phantom Gaming SLI) it was stated as 9600K as it supposed to be and so on in the about system in windows parameters or in CPU-Z.

BUT the problem is that when I stress test it it peaks only on 4.3 Ghz when it supposed to be 4.6 out of the box! And the motherboard hasn't showed the overclocking options for Key-series processors even if I have the latest bios ver and loaded bios defaults.

So I seek help is it possible that there was a fraud from the seller of the processor and they actually sold me an i5-8600 masked under the 9600K? Because they are all the same except the frequencies.. How can I check is it really 9600K?

10 Replies
RAJU2529
New Contributor III

i5 9600k comes base frequency 3.7GHz wit maximum turbo frequency 4.6Ghz by overclocking ,

for overclocking option , ask the motherboard manufacturer bios firmware.

there is a serial number on the processor , notedown , contact the intel customer support toll free number

here is the i5 9600k processor technical specs website

https://ark.intel.com/products/134896/Intel-Core-i5-9600K-Processor-9M-Cache-up-to-4-60-GHz-

you can check originality by using Intel(R) Processor Identification Utility

download from below site

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/7838/Intel-Processor-Identification-Utility-Windows-Version

0 Kudos
MTadz
Novice

The programm you gave reference upon is NOT valid for i5-9600K processor! And as I mentioned there are only differences between the 8600K and 9600K in the frequencies. Also as said in https://ark.intel.com/products/134896/Intel-Core-i5-9600K-Processor-9M-Cache-up-to-4-60-GHz- 4.6 is the "Max turbo frequency is the maximum single core frequency at which the processor is capable of operating using Intel® Turbo Boost Technology" - it is not the overclock. it is Turbo boost which presented in processes in its base. So your awnser is incorrect in many ways. And also could you provide this "toll free customer support number" for Russian Federeation region?

0 Kudos
RAJU2529
New Contributor III

sorry I could not find ,

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello MTadz, Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities. I would like to begin by mentioning that Intel does not recommend overclocking the processor, this is because altering clock frequency or voltage may damage or reduce the useful life of the processor and other system components, and may reduce system stability and performance. Product warranties may not apply if the processor is operated beyond its specifications. Also, to check the processor you can actually go to our warranty check website and over there you can use the markings, this will tell you the model of the processor and the warranty expiration date: https://supporttickets.intel.com/warrantyinfo I hope this helps. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MTadz
Novice

Hi, David, thank you for the reply.

The warranty check is not doing any better because they could faked the numbers on a box too.

And I did not overclock the processor and my question was about the Turbo boost frequency of the 9600k is as it was 8600k!

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello MTadz, To continue addressing the performance issues reported, please run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and attach the report. We would like to take a look at this report. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool We would like to add that processor performance depends on hardware, firmware (BIOS), workload, software (operating system and applications) and even temperature. Are the Windows* Power Management options set to "High Performance"? In addition, we will be requesting more information to authenticate your Intel® Processor. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MTadz
Novice

Wanner, aren't you reading the previous answers? This tool IS NOT VALID FOR THE 9th i5 generation!!

The motherboard z390 Asrock Phantom Gaming SLI does support i5-9600k and it is working on auto setup on P1.16 bios, the workload is tested by OCCT and also monitored in Windows Task Manager and the workload is 100% and the frequency shown is 4.3 Ghz. Temps are about 67-70 degrees. power management set to high performance

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello MTadz, Thank you for your response. I understand that the processor is not listed under the applicable products, nevertheless I would like you to try running a diagnostic so that we can assist you further with this. The software should recognize the processor and run the required tests. Make sure to attach the diagnostic results here. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello MTadz, I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you. If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello MTadz, I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you. If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos