Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14506 Discussions

Intel C440GX+ & Cabrillo-C Case

Mahatma_Pech
Beginner

Dear community,

i would like to ghte system completed but i need more information to not get stuck in incompatible CPUs or memory or addin-cards therefore i ask for:

1. CPU list required. is a CPU on top of the Pentium III Xeon 550/100/2M SL3DB working properly? Which one would be top of the line?
  2. RAM module list required. Can the board handle more than 4x 512MB ECC? Which configuration is compatible?
  3. QVL required. Will any PCI- or PCI-ARO-Card work?
  4. Does anybody have links to drivers and software, that might be need to get this board running.
  5. Is there a Carbillo-C case out there, that you would like to sell?

Thank you for the smallest help in advance and forgive me all my mistakes in grammar. English is not my native language.

Greetings Mahatma

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Mahatma_Pech
Beginner

Correction: ... to get the system completed ….

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

What board​? Intel never made a board called C440GX.

0 Kudos
Mahatma_Pech
Beginner

Sorry, but Intel made that board: "Intel Server Board C440GX+" … dont miss the "+" at the end of the name.

inspite all possible dead ends, i bought some CPUs, two VRMs, and tried out my pile of PC100/PC133 SDRAM. So far i got at least a few sticks working but not yet together. actually i have max 512 MB in a single module.

And i have a huge plus on my side: my set included the nearly unavailable Retention Mechanism in mint condition (sealed package). SCSI cables were missing, but i have lots of them in the drawers.

By now i am around finding a usable / suitable case. Got only an Chieftec Meshtower but would like the Cabrillo-C or a "normal" Big Tower for all the 5,25" Drives and Frontpanel of the SB Live! 5.1 Platinum. Beige would be very nice. ^^

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Ah. Well, if you go by ARK, the board apparently doesn't exist, So much for Intel's own servers at least recognizing the name of an Intel product (even if it is this ancient). I had to go outside Intel and use an external link to get back in before I found anything. There is a download package for this board here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/17192/Intel-C440GX-Server-Board, though it doesn't look very useful.

...S

0 Kudos
Mahatma_Pech
Beginner

Hi Scott,

thx, but i already have this.

it is really hard to find information on older Hardware. at least i got that far, that i found the max CPU working on this board: it is the 550/100/2M PIII Xeon. Intel changed the specs on the Slot2 like they did also on the Slot1 to support the Coppermine CPUs. But other than Slot1 with a needed support of FSB133 and a new BIOS, you may need some hardwarechanges on a Slot2 System.

Today i could get my Hands on some old SDRAM sticks that i will test next time, i am in reach of my bunch of parts.

If there is sbd with other helpful stuff, feel free to join this thread.

Thanks everybody so far.

0 Kudos