Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14399 Discussions

Intel Chipset different from CPU codename and USB chipset question

JChou4
Beginner

I want to ask a question as the attachment , please help me to answer as soon as you can , Thanks

This Laptop model is Xiaomi Notebook Air 13 (161301-CN)

The CPU code name is Kaby Lake-U which I confirmed by HWiNFO tool, but I also checked the USB3.0 port is under Intel Skylake-U/Y PCH chip.

What's the difference between them ?

and how to check Intel USB3.0/USB3.1 port which belongs to the Skylake / Kabylake / Coffeelake ....etc exactly ?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
n_scott_pearson
Super User

With the exception of its support for graphics, Intel processors do not contain any I/O capabilities. These I/O capabilities are provided by a separate chipset. Since the Intel 5 Series chipsets, the chipset has actually included only a single chip, known as the Platform Controller Hub (PCH). The I/O capabilities include USB 2.0/3.0/3.1 ports, SATA II/III Ports, PCIe lanes, system-level functions (Real-Time Clock, DMA Controllers, Interrupt Controllers, Power Management Controllers), Ethernet MAC and support for various I/O buses (HDA, SMBus, I2C, SPI and LPC). The PCH also hosts some number of out-of-band controllers, including the Intel Management Engine (ME).

Beginning with the Broadwell (5th generation Intel Core architecture) ultra-low-power processors, Intel combined the functionality of the PCH into the processor package and eliminated the PCH as a separate chip. The resulting processor packages are known as a System on a Chip (SoC).

Your processor is an Intel Core i5-7200U, which is a Kaby Lake-U SoC. The combined PCH functionality is a subset of that provided by the Intel 200 Series chipset. The Intel 200 Series chipset includes components with the same PCI identifiers as the Intel 100 Series chipset and this is why HWiNFO32/64 lists some of these components as being from the Skylake-U/Y PCH.

As for your last question, I am not quite sure what you are asking. The PCI identifiers for these ports typically identify which chipset series they are from, but, as I said above, there are cases where the same PCI identifiers are used across multiple chipset generations. What you need to do is identify the chipset via the unique PCI identifiers it supports.

Hope this helps,

...S