Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14400 Discussions

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T5250 Maximum Ram

User_Of_Inspiron_1420

Hi,I would like to know what is the maximum ram my computer,a Dell Inspiron 1420 using a Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T5250  can support the maximum ram?I hear some people saying that it can support up to 6GB ram but Dell only says that 4GB ram is the max.I am hoping that it can support 8GB ram haha.So I would like to know what can this processor supports the maximum ram as the intel website says nothing about it.Many many thanks! 

P.S.If you need additional info please ask me!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
AlHill
Super User

The processor will support what dell has designed their motherboard for.

Contact dell for support.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]

View solution in original post

5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

The T5250 did not have a memory controller.  So, you must ask dell  what is supported for their board. 

Also, in my opinion, it makes no sense to try and update anything on that system.

0 Kudos
User_Of_Inspiron_1420

Sorry I didn't fully understand what you mean by not having a memory controller.Does it means it can support up to 8GB ram without causing any problems if the "board"(idk what is that as well) supports it?

Yea I know it certainly didn't make sense to upgrade this old computer but this computer is still usable.No hardware change at all until even now!This dinosaur will run better with higher ram in my opinion.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

It means that the Dell motherboard implements the memory controller in their own way.  A memory controller is not provided by the processor.  This is why you need to contact dell support.  Use you dell service tag to look up the specifications of your laptop.

There is nothing that can be done for you here.

0 Kudos
User_Of_Inspiron_1420
OIC,but can I know my hypothesis just now is correct or not?This processor can support high rams if the motherboard(the board u mean just now?) can support it?thanks
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

The processor will support what dell has designed their motherboard for.

Contact dell for support.