Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14513 Discussions

Intel Core I7 10700k Idle problem

Midnight
Beginner

Hello I have just Upgraded my rig with a Core i7 10700k and a Asus ROG Strix B460-H Motherboard, And it seems i have a problem because when my PC sits idle with no other programs active except CPUID's HWMonitor I have noticed that after a few minutes Every other core seems to sit at 100% making my overall CPU temp go up, But then as soon as i move my mouse or press a key everything goes back to normal until i leave it to go idle again and i am really worried about this because i have never seen this behaivor from any other CPU i have had and i was wondering if there might be a Bios setting i have neglected to turn on or something because i have tried so many different things with no success and its a problem because right now i can't leave my PC idle for any length time for fear that i look at my temps and they will be at dangerous levels, I have also asked around and no one seems to have any clue whats making this happen, Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

P.s I have enclosed a picture of my HWMonitor with the temps and usage showing the increase i spoke about.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @Midnight

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Based on the CPUID HWMonitor* screenshot, the Max reported temperature is 60°C for one core and the others never went beyond 59°C. Is this correct?

The Junction Temperature (TJUNCTION) for the Intel® Core™ i7-10700K Processor, which is the maximum temperature allowed at the processor die is 100°C.

Many Intel® processors make use of Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, which allows them to operate at a very high frequency for a short amount of time. When the processor is operating at or near its maximum frequency it's possible for the temperature to climb very rapidly and quickly reach higher or its maximum temperature and being at maximum temperature while running a workload isn't necessarily cause for concern.

Now, based on the screenshot, we don't see that the processor is actually reaching its maximum temperature or near to it, and we could say that those values 50-60°C are within Intel's specifications and should not be considered an issue. The tool might just be logging when the processor reached those temperatures.

Besides seeing those temperatures ranging from 50-60°C, are you experiencing any issues like system crashes, FPS drops, slow performance, etc? Have you noticed any other sign of overheating? (for instance, temperature going higher and reaching 100°C +/-, system shutdowns? etc)

If that is correct, please provide more details.

Regarding the behavior with the CPU and some cores reaching 100% CPU utilization, could you please confirm the following details?

1- Have you checked applications or processes running in the background that may be using up too much of the CPU. Despite a user might not be running any task, the operating system (OS), background process, etc, might still running in the background and consuming CPU resources.

2- Have you checked the CPU Utilization and the process in Windows* Task Manager? Please press Windows+X and click on Task Manager and provide us with some screenshots from the Processes tab and the Performance tab.

3- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.

To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Midnight

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Midnight

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
wingarmac
Beginner

Hi everyone, 

I've a simillar issue with an Asus PRIME B-460 PLUS and an I7 10700K.
When the motherboard is setted with optimal defaults:
- CPU frequency spikes getting 100% usage during idles.
- It also happens when opening a simple task, like a notepad.

- I've checked applications, and nothing is using the CPU

- I've made tests with Ubuntu on another drive on the same system, it happens more less but it still occurs.

I've waited until the temperature has dropped yesterday to setup power saving in the BIOS settings. Because, even with all my fans at full speed and no system running, I couldn't get it to drop. I even thought there was something wrong with my pump, but it isn't the case (it has been replaced though for the the same reasons).

Could these points have  relation ?

-  You'll find my SSU results attached after setting up power saving in the BIOS.
    I now I have a RAID memeber down. I'm waiting the and of (my dealer's) vacation period to replace it.

-  I use a new grafic adapter (same model - other version) - those peaks are more often occuring

-  I use a 550W power supply. It has been suggested to replace it with higher power 

Cheers !

0 Kudos