Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14530 Discussions

Intel Core I7 3840qm not reaching full core frequency

autococker01
Beginner

Hi everyone!

I've already upgraded my HP DV6 7014NR laptop CPU from an Intel Core I7 3610Qm to a Intel Core i7 3840QM.

It was a simple replacement, take out and put the newer one in.

SPECS.jpg

It works flawlessly, without hicups and i can see the improvement of a higher cache and a little extra frequency speed.

After many stability test i was aware that the new cpu couldn't reach the four core max frequency (3.6ghz) that Intel shows on their specification page nor Intel XTU.

On all cores I'm only reaching a 3.59ghz at the beginning which is fine and after 2 or 3 minutes the frequency drops to a constant 3.29ghz until the stress test finish. The same happened when i'm using 3DS Max for light rendering.

TEST.jpg

Sometimes, at noon it reaches a temperature of 97C, I thought that the reason could be thermal throttling, but after this 34 minutes without a laptop cooler and an evironment temperature of 36C (i'm from Venezuela) this test shows that there is no thermal throttling.

stabilitytest 3840QM LM CPU KRYONAUT GPU.png 

All my drivers are updated, but after the installation of the new Intel Core I7 3840QM it remains the same.

I think i'm missing something or a driver that is not letting me reach the full 4 core frequency.

While i was using the 3610qm i was able to reach 3.095mhz on all cores for long periodsof time, but in this 3840qm is not even close to the 3.6mhz on full loads.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee
autococker01, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support. Just to let you know, there are a lot of things to consider when you replace the processor on a laptop. The manufacturer of the processor, in this case HP, has the option to disable/enable settings in the BIOS that are related to the processor and they have the option to customized the features on their products. The platform that you are using were designed to work with the Intel® Core™ i7-3610QM processor and all the features of the laptop were enable to work around that processor. When you replace a mobile processor, the best thing to do is to check with the manufacturer of the laptop directly, since not only the microcode of the BIOS needs to be compatible, the processor needs to be also compatible with the features that are on that system. The clock frequency for this processor is 2.80 GHz and it can reach 3.80 GHz when Max Turbo Frequency starts to work, but that feature is also customized by HP, so it will depend on the components the system has and the BIOS settings for the processor to reach those values: https://ark.intel.com/products/70846/Intel-Core-i7-3840QM-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3-80-GHz- We can always run the Intel® Processor Diagnostics tool just to confirm that the processor is working fine and to verify the clock speed that is reaching: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool But if by any chance there is a problem with the performance of the unit, then the best thing to do will be to get in contact with HP directly for further technical assistance on this matter: https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp/product/hp-pavilion-dv6-7000-entertainment-notebook-pc-series/5226230/model/5255909 Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos