Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

Intel Core i3-1215U cannot reach max speed 4.4 GHz

Deeudom
Novice

My Intel Core i3-1215U (in laptop HP 15S) has not got to the expected max speed at 4.4 GHz tested by CPU-Z at 100% CPU performance. It ้has only reached to 3.591 GHz every time tested. The power options only has Balanced Plan, no High Performance and Power Saver. I haved tried installing the missing power plans but it was not successful.  Is the missing High Performance power plan required for the highest performance of this CPU to get to its max speed at 4.4 GHz? Or the Intel Turbo Boost has been intentionally/originally set to be not working in this CPU model?

The mainboard bus specs is PCI-Express 3.0 (8.0 GT/s). Dual DDR4 RAM 3200 MHz (8GBx2). FSB:DRAM is 1:8 mostly and 1:20 sometimes.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Adding Plans to Windows isn't going to accomplish anything. You need to understand how the Turbo Boost feature works, what's needed to reach the highest frequency and what can affect its ability to reach or sustain this level. Start reading...

...S

Deeudom
Novice

Isn't CPU-Z test supposed to use 100% CPU performance already?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
That's just it, you won't achieve the highest Turbo Boost frequency when running the CPU at 100%. It can only be achieved when a single core is active. It cannot be achieved when all cores are active.
...S
Deeudom
Novice

So now it's clear to me that basically as all cores (2P+4E) will always be working together the multicore performance will never reach 4.4 GHz. The max frequency 3.591 GHz I have got is already the max frequency of multicore performance of Core i3-1215U with Intel Turbo Boost. Thank you kindly for clarifying how this CPU work with the Intel Turbo Boost.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Deeudom, 

I would like to know if your issue persists or if you were able to fix it. Please let me know if you need further support.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
Deeudom
Novice

It was just my misunderstanding that the max frequency of multicore performance would be up to 4.4 GHz. I clearly understand now that only the two P cores that would reach 4.4 but not the multicore (2P+4E) altogether. Thank you kindly for your support.

DeividA_Intel

Hello Deeudom, 

Thanks for the confirmation. I am glad to know you found the information shared by the community members very helpful.

I will proceed to close this thread, however, you can open a new one in case you need further support or if you faced any issues with our products.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos