Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

Intel Core i5-2400 not compatibile Win 11

Gombszem
Beginner

The Windows 10 Processor Requirements on the Website:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-10-21h1-supported-intel-processors

The Intel Core I5-2400 processor is not listed in the website. But my computer works for 5 years ago with Win10 / 64 Prof System flawlessly, never was blue death or other mistakes.
Intel recommends the processor for Win10 / 64, Microsoft does not.
For this reason, WIN11 is installed in an unleavened Windows PC Health Check rejects the installation. There is no similar Win11 site there this processor.

What can you do at this time? Microsoft Support is confused to me, it is not understandable.

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Intel did not support Windows 10 on 2nd gen processors. There was *never* a graphics driver for Windows 10 for 2nd gen processors. Unless you had a desktop design that would support having an add-in (NVIDIA/AMD) graphics card installed, you were stuck with the Microsoft Compatibility driver, which performed poorly, was missing necessary API support levels, etc.

Just saying,

...S

0 Kudos
Gombszem
Beginner

Could you recommend another Intel processor that can be used for Socket: LGA 1155 and compatible with Win 10 and 11 system?

If you do not have this, the motherboard must also be discarded unfortunately.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Well, most of the Intel 6 Series Desktop Boards have support for 3rd gen processors in their firmware and there are Windows 10 drivers for the graphics solutions in the 3rd gen processors -- but, understand that all of the 3rd gen processors have been discontinued and are no longer supported either. There is no guarantee that any of these processors are going to be supported by Windows 11, regardless.

Frankly, you need to purchase something a lot more modern. Yes, this will mean new processor, new motherboard and new memory (because of jump to DDR4), but it is what it is; you cannot (or at least should should not ) expect that 10+ year old hardware is going to continue to be supported. The cost of guaranteeing that this old hardware is supported would be *huge* (many millions of US dollars per update!) and I don't think that Microsoft is willing to support this any longer.

Sorry,

...S

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

I agree, a 3rd gen Intel CPU based platform is just far too long in the tooth now to be running Windows 11, even if all the other hardware requirement hoops are jumped through.

It's like buying a brand new car and fitting it with 10 year old tyres, just because you can doesn't mean you should.

0 Kudos
Gombszem
Beginner

I understood. Thank you for fast and correct help.

0 Kudos
hklowss
Beginner

Technically, no. However, I upgraded from Windows 10 to 11 yesterday and had no issues. Integrated graphics and everything else is working fine. The only thing is that you cannot upgrade the typical way so you have to go to this website and follow the instructions under Method 3. https://www.xda-developers.com/install-windows-11-unsupported-pc/ 

Here is a link to download the Windows 11 ISO that you will need. https://click.linksynergy.com/deeplink?id=kXQk6%2AivFEQ&mid=46194&u1=trd-au-3968253280012848000&murl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.microsoft.com%2Fen-us%2Fsoftware-download%2Fwindowsinsiderpreviewiso 

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Not supported means not supported.   When you have problems in the future, and come here for support, be honest and state that you are running an unsupported platform so as not to waste everyone's time.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
You might have been able to install it, but you will be completely blocked from getting any updates. Go back to Windows 10 (and its lack of true compatibility for your platform) while you still can.
...S
0 Kudos