Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14402 Discussions

Intel Core i5-8300H not reaching full potential on Omen HP Laptop.

JMosh
Beginner

Hi. I have a HP Omen laptop with an Intel Core i5-8300H and Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 graphics. I play a flight simulation game called Prepar3D and it i'm aware that its quite demanding on the CPU. My game stutters constantly, and I have read that this could be due to clock speed. The specifications of this exact CPU state that it can reach clock speeds of up to 4 GHz but when I look in task manager it says its running at 2.3 GHz even when the game is active. I don't think laptop processors are overclockable, however there must be some way for me to get the clock speed up to 3 or more GHz, as 2.3 is insufficient. If anybody has any suggestions for why this is, or how I can fix it, I would be grateful

Thanks,

James

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello JMosh

Thank you for posting in the Intel Community.

By the information that you are giving me, it seems that the system is mainly using the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 while gaming this could explain why the processor is not increasing the frequency, in order to make confirm this you can contact HP the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) you can also confirm is the system BIOS settings for hybrid graphics; in addition you can set the power plan on the operating system to high performance.

Please run the Intel® processor diagnostic tool (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool) and provide me with the text result file.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Leonardo C.                        

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello JMosh

Have you been able to contact the OEM and run the Intel® processor diagnostic tool?

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello JMosh

I haven’t heard back from you; please contact us if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
JMosh
Beginner

Thank you for the response Leo, I haven't been on the site for a while, hence the late response which I apologise for. I will do as you recommend and report back to you with the results and text file.

0 Kudos
JMosh
Beginner

By the way, my power plan is on high performance, and I have also made it so that the Processor Minimum State is 100%

0 Kudos
JMosh
Beginner

Here are the results of the diagnostics test.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello JMosh

Thank you for the details and the report, looking into the information we recommend contacting the HP to complete cooling solution clean and review the BIOS setting to confirm if there is something limiting the CPU frequency.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
JMosh
Beginner

Well, yesterday, I told a HP Support assistant about the issue, and they said that I should overclock the cpu. I cannot find this option on the BIOS, and Intel Extreme Tuning Utility doesn't seem to work either. I'm not sure if that's a good idea either, as I risk frying my laptops internals. I don't mind trying it as long as it's at safe levels though. Any ideas Leo?

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello JMosh

That advice is risky indeed and also this voids the warranty, I would try searching on the BIOS for options like Intel SpeedStep® Technology to disable it and making sure that Intel®  turbo boost is enabled, I recommend confirming if these BIOS changes are can be done with HP.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
JMosh
Beginner

I have asked HP how to do this on my laptop, and they said I should try taking it to a store so they could assist me. I couldn't find any of the things you mentioned, so this might be my only shot. Thanks for the suggestions and I will report back to you once I've had a chance to go to the store.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello JMosh

Thank for the update.

Ty for the update, I will share with you that the Intel® Core™ i5-8300H Processor https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/134876/intel-core-i5-8300h-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-00-ghz.html) has a based frequency of 2.30 GHz and with Intel® Turbo Boost I can reach up to 4.00 GHz, if the processor is not increasing the frequency this is related to the OEM system customizations, that is why we recommend referring this behavior with them.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos