Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14506 Discussions

Intel Core i7-1065G7 Not Going Up to the 3.9Ghz Turbo Boost Frequency

JacobHornbeck
Beginner

My laptop has an Intel Core i7-1065G7, and the product specs say that it has a "Max Turbo Frequency" of 3.9GHz, but when I am using my processor with a heavy load, I never see it go up to that 3.9GHz... even when I am running a program I wrote that utilizes both threads in each of the 4 cores...

I know that Turbo Boost is supposed to be enabled by default, but is there an easy way to see if it is currently enabled and if it is not, how would I turn it on?

I've looked in the BIOS before, but I don't ever recall seeing an option for Turbo Boost...

Thank you for any help with this!

- Jacob

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

When using your processor with 'a heavy load', you are simply NOT going to see the highest Turbo Frequency; that's not the way this feature works. The highest Turbo frequency is used only when a single Core is active and the processor has the thermal headroom to handle this Core being overclocked to this frequency. If other Cores are active, a lower Turbo Frequency will be used, based upon how many Cores are active and how much thermal headroom is available.

For more information, you can consult these sources:

What is Intel Turbo Boost Technology and How Does it Work?

Why Am I Not Getting the Intel Turbo Boost Frequency?

My Intel Core Processor Does Not Reach the Maximum Turbo Boost Frequency

Frequently Asked Questions for Intel Turbo Boost Technology

Frequently Asked Questions About Temperature for Intel Processors

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
JacobHornbeck
Beginner

Okay, thank you.

I was looking at a few different articles about Intel Turbo Boost, and a few mentioned the Turbo Boost Monitor... I tried looking for it here on Intel's website, but only found community post about people having problems with it. I didn't find any place to download it, is this software still available to download? If so, where can I download it?

Thanks,

Jacob

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

@JacobHornbeck The Intel® Turbo Boost Technology Monitor is a Windows* Presentation Format application designed for Windows 7* and Windows 8*. This utility was discontinued and removed from Intel® Download Center.

Regards,  

David G. 

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Let us know if you have any questions.   

Best regards,  

David G.  

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.   

Best regards,  

David G. 

0 Kudos