Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

Intel Core i7-10700 2.9 GHz HIGH Temps Issue (stock cooling)...max safe operating temp under prolonged load? Please see pics...I'm thinking this might be a defective chip that I need to return, but I wanted to make sure...

JPaul28
Beginner

Hello, using stock cooling, I'm seeing average temps of 35-40C for normal tasking (far right image). However, as soon as I launch a game, temps almost instantly shoot up to 99C. Please see the attached pics (the first two show when under load). From my research, these high temps do not seem normal. That said, I didn't plan on purchasing a third-party cooler...I was intentional about purchasing this chip because I will not be overclocking. Shouldn't the stock cooler do better at keeping these temps within an acceptable range? Also, while we're on the topic, what is the "safe" range when under a (gaming) load over a prolonged period of time? (3-4 hours)

I'm thinking this might be a defective chip that I need to return, but I wanted to make sure...

Thanks in advance for any feedback/information you might offer.

By the way, the tools used are HWINFO and HWMonitor -- the graphic to the far right is under normal conditions (no load)...that was a screenshot of the Gigabyte util that came with Gigabyte's Z490I MB. It also reports 99C when gaming (under load).

0 Kudos
5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Having temperatures go this high - and do so this quickly - is definitely NOT normal. If you are not overclocking, the stock heatsink-fan unit should be sufficient. There are a number of factors that can prevent this from occurring, however:

1. Insufficient or improperly applied Thermal Interface Material (TIM, a.k.a. paste).
  2. Improperly installed heatsink-fan unit.
  3. Failing fan in the heatsink-fan unit.
  4. Poor airflow through the system chassis (only warm air available for cooling).
  5. Improperly configured fan speed control algorithm (normally configured in BIOS Setup).

Note: If you remove the heatsink-fan unit to check the TIM, you *must* replace the TIM. I recommend using a product like Arctic Silver 5. Properly clean both the heatsink and processor surfaces and apply a sufficient amount of new TIM to the heatsink. TIM packaging will usually provide instructions on how to apply the TIM.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
JPaul28
Beginner

Thank you for such a thorough response. It turned out that my Gigabyte Z490 MB automatically overclocked or "boosted" my i7 10700 CPU when gaming, and there was no way to disable this. Others were having the same issue. These are newly released MBs and CPUs (Gen 10), so it took a while for that pattern to emerge among early adopters. Anyhow, I changed my MB over to a ASUS B460, and my temps have all returned to normal ranges.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

0 Kudos
khalidHQ
Beginner

Dear MR.Paul,

I had same problem, it's was reach 100 in game or any high activity in CPU and in normal load it was reach 80 - 85 or more.

I fixed the issue by Disable the Intel Turbo boost Technology from BIOS.

In future when you bay a new AIO ( Liquid Cooler) you can activate the turbo boost again.

BR,

0 Kudos
Ljubiso
Beginner

I have similar problem with 10700f processor on Asus TUF gaming Z-490-PLUS motherboard. and I am sure problem can NOT be fixed with liquid cooling, because not only processor but also elements on motherboard are so much hot and probably will fail on longer run. So I am sure that problem is processor/motherboard when (even) only 1 core is operating on 4.8 GHz turbo boost mode, motherboard deliver too much power on processor even overall load is less than 20%.

It is so wired that when all cores activated and processor is operating on 100% load, turbo boost is automatically lower on 3.5 GHz and processor is very cool. That's should be logical cuz max turbo boost frequency should be active on short run.

So problem is when processor operating with one or few cores (not all) than (even overall processor is less than 20-25% load) turbo boost  stay on 4.8 GHz and processor deliver more than 65 W. and whole PC is so hot. SOOO WIRED.

It's obvious someone is responsible for this issue: either Intel or ASUS.

So they should give us solution. Not, us (costumers) who pay lot of money for this technology which is in start outdated compared with apple M1 chip.

One solution could be to disable turbo boost. But then why we pay so much money for i7 that we make it to run as half price i5 ?????

I bought 6 pieces of i7 10700f, and need 12 more for my micro business, and my next choice will avoid intel for sure, even I spend too much money on intel in past 2 decades

Bye intel, you make too much mistakes in past years. it is time for YOU to be replace with companies that care more for their customers.

0 Kudos
jbizz27
Beginner

this is false. it can be solved with an AIO Liquid cooler as i have done so on my dell g5 5000 series with the i7 10700f gtx 1660ti. i put 2 120mm fans in the front  where the sata drive went. added a 240mm aio to the top external mounted and have the 10700f down to 27C at idle and during gaming it never hits 70C. so your claim is false

0 Kudos