cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Haseeb
Beginner

Intel Core i7-10750H 10th Gen Temperature

Jump to solution

I recently bought an M17, R3 Alienware laptop with 16G RAM, 512 SSD, NVIDIA GTX 2060 6B. 

Straight out of the box even when I am not gaming or even doing anything, just monitoring the CPU temperature I see it runs 50-60 Degrees C  it even runs up to 70 from time to time without being udn4er any stress test.  When running the stress test it runs at 100 Degrees C. 

Is this temperature fluctuation healthy for the laptop? I am new to gaming laptop and not sure if I should return the laptop and get a new one. Please help me understand this, I have tried reaching out to Dell with no help, I tried to reach out to the seller from BestBuy there is no help there, so before I start a return process I would like to confirm. 

Thanks! 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

The temperature fluctuations are perfectly normal. When the system is idle, Windows will run its maintenance tasks in the background and that is why you see those occasional spikes to 70c.

Now, that said, while it is normal when under load to see short-duration temperature spikes up into the 90's, IMHO it is NOT normal to see the temperature staying in the 90's nor is it normal to see the temperature rise all the way up to 100c. This is an indicator that the cooling solution in this laptop is either inadequate or poorly configured.

I would suggest that you talk to the laptop vendor regarding this finding. There are a lot of slimy vendors who give inadequate cooling solutions and rely on thermal throttling to protect the system; a very bad practice, but they do get to pocket the difference. They also implement power consumption-based limiting in order to improve their battery life scores. You paid for this high-end laptop, you should have a high-end cooling solution.

Off my soapbox now,

...S

View solution in original post

2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

The temperature fluctuations are perfectly normal. When the system is idle, Windows will run its maintenance tasks in the background and that is why you see those occasional spikes to 70c.

Now, that said, while it is normal when under load to see short-duration temperature spikes up into the 90's, IMHO it is NOT normal to see the temperature staying in the 90's nor is it normal to see the temperature rise all the way up to 100c. This is an indicator that the cooling solution in this laptop is either inadequate or poorly configured.

I would suggest that you talk to the laptop vendor regarding this finding. There are a lot of slimy vendors who give inadequate cooling solutions and rely on thermal throttling to protect the system; a very bad practice, but they do get to pocket the difference. They also implement power consumption-based limiting in order to improve their battery life scores. You paid for this high-end laptop, you should have a high-end cooling solution.

Off my soapbox now,

...S

View solution in original post

Haseeb
Beginner
Thank you very much for your reply and yes it stays in 100c the whole stress duration which really scares me. I will have this laptop shipped back right away. Then buy it straight from Dell