Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14512 Discussions

Intel Core i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz and virtualization issues

VDepu
Beginner

Hi,

Any feedback of an unstable environnment to run virtualization with this processor?

Intel Core i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz

Socket 1366 LGA

VirtualBox is crashing randomly and WMware won't run properly either.

The lastest Bios version of my motherboard was released in 2012.

Maybe all this is confusing.

Thx

Vincent (beginner in virtualization)

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlHill
Super User

This is your 2009 processor:

https://ark.intel.com/products/37150/Intel-Core-i7-950-Processor-8M-Cache-3-06-GHz-4-80-GT-s-Intel-QPI- Intel® Core™ i7-950 Processor (8M Cache, 3.06 GHz, 4.80 GT/s Intel® QPI) Product Specifications

What is the exact version and build of your operating system?

Doc

0 Kudos
VDepu
Beginner

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1.

Any chance switching to windows 10 could help at all?

Thx

Vincent

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Switching to Windows 10 would be worse, as your processor is not supported on windows 10.

Experimenting/Learning virtualization on such an old processor, motherboard, and bios, may not be your best platform.

Doc

0 Kudos
VDepu
Beginner

Thx All.

This confirms what I thought initially: I need to invest in a new computer. In a way it's a shame because it runs other applications very well.

I appreciate your help and advice. I will close this topic.

Regards

Vincent

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

One more question - Did you check the minimum requirements for VirtualBox and WMware?

Also, if you do go to a new (Windows 10 Pro) platform, you may also want to use Hyper-V to experiment with.

Doc

0 Kudos
VDepu
Beginner

I just checked them again.

"Reasonably powerful x86 hardware. Any recent Intel or AMD processor should do" for VBox.

"Standard x86-compatible personal computer, 400 MHz or faster CPU minimum (500 MHz recommended)" for WMware.

I don't think the power of my processor is an issue. I also have 12Go RAM and 500Go disk space so plenty to play around with a few WMs. But as you said, this processor is just too old and not up to date with recent virtualization requirement; whatever they are specifically. Intel does not offer patches for old processors to keep up with recent versions of VMware or else. Nevermind, I can't afford to spend much time trying to figure out the whys behind this unstable combination of my old gear and those platforms.

I will def consider trying Hyper-V when I upgrade to Windows 10. It will prob be with a new machine though.

Thanks Al. I appreciate your comments.

Vincent

0 Kudos