Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14527 Discussions

Intel® Driver & Support Assistant showed me a driver update but cannot install

MostafaNada
Beginner

Hi,

So Intel® Driver & Support Assistant showed me that I have a HDC update for my processor so I clicked check for updates so it opened my browser and showed me intel website to click download and then clicked install to find out a message popup saying ( the driver being installed isn't validated for this computer, please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer manufacturer.

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello MostafaNada, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

The Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA) is a software that will check the  latest drivers Intel®, and will offer you the download if available for your system. However, the Intel® DSA does not check whether this driver has been validated for your system or not. We always recommend using the drivers provided by your system manufacturer (OEM) as they are customized and tested to work with your specific PC. 

So we can better assist you, please provide the following: 

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report generated:  

• Open the application, check the "Everything" box, and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".   
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".   
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".   
  • Use the option under the reply window to attach the report to the thread (Drag and drop here or browse files to attach).  

2. What was the complete driver type and version offered by the Intel® DSA? If possible, please provide a screenshot.  

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
MostafaNada
Beginner

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) User Interface and Driver for Intel® 7th/8th Generation Platforms

Version16.8.3.1003

also, the HDC disappeared so that I don't remember the message but I have attached the screen shot in the main post + the log is attached to this reply

Thank you for your reply

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello MostafaNada,  

Thank you for your response. 

In this case, the Intel® RST user interface and driver 16.8.3.1003 is the generic version provided by Intel®. As mentioned before, we recommend that end users utilize driver updates provided by their OEM or via Windows Update to eliminate the potential impact caused by loading non-customized drivers. OEMs regularly customize generic drivers to meet the needs of their specific system design. 

I can see that your OEM does provide an Intel® RST driver: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/500-series/520-15ikb/downloads/driver-list/component?name=Storage  

Please keep in mind that if you are not looking to create RAID configurations or system acceleration with Intel® Optane™ memory, Intel® RST is not needed. 

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied. 

0 Kudos
MostafaNada
Beginner

Hello, 

Thank you for your reply

I would like to ask a couple of questions

The first is that Lenovo doesn't provide software for my HDD and when I contacted Seagate they told me that it's all related to Lenovo and the only thing Lenovo provides for storage is RST. so do you mean that I don't have to download RST if I will not use it? I see it changes my HDD controller in the Devices manager to intel 6th generation core family instead of the default ATA controller provided with win 10.

The last question is that I have a problem which is 100% disk usage with Microsoft believe it is a driver one so does that mean that the problem is the controller that has been changed by RST?

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If you are not using RAID and you are not using Optane, then you do not need to install Intel RST. It is true that some people will install Intel RST to use the Intel Storage Driver, but this doesn't produce any significant difference in performance (it did once upon a time, but the Microsoft Storage has significantly improved since then).

...S

0 Kudos
MostafaNada
Beginner

Hello Mr,

Thank you for your fast reply

Where do I find information about optane and RAID?

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello MostafaNada,  

I hope the previous information given in this thread was useful to you. 

We have not received any more questions from you so we will close this inquiry. If you need further support, please submit a new post as this one will no longer be monitored by Intel.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos