Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility Intel Core i7-11800H support

Victor2030
Novice

Hello, It is impossible to start the Intel XTU utility with the Intel Core i7-11800H, this processor is absent in the support list also. How is possible to start the utility on the machine with this processor?

The Tiger Lake platform is supported except the almost top Intel Core i7-11800H.

20 Replies
AlHill
Super User

XTU only supports X and K processors, NOT H.  You need an unlocked processor (X or K) to use XTU.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
Victor2030
Novice

No. The Intel Core i5-10300H, 4200 MHz (42 x 100) is supported by the XTU utility, the only blocked are multipliers. 

Intel Core i7-10750H is also compatible. If Intel does not support all other varients of H processors, all notebooks verdors should post this information as critical.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You are incorrect.  Your processor is simply not supported. 

Look on the XTU download page,  under "This download is valid for the product(s) listed below"

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/17881/29183/intel-extreme-tuning-utility-intel-xtu.html?

Show me where the i5-10300H,  i7-10750H, i7-11800H are listed.

0 Kudos
Victor2030
Novice

Victor2030_0-1652089127459.png

If the picture on the Intel Core i7-11800H will be the same - I will be happy. 

Many working processors are absent in the list of "supported". The list is about supporting of all functionality such as multipliers increasing and many other. But all processors of all supported families support TDP changing and diagrams of trottling for example.

But in case of Intel Core i7-11800H and Windows 11 x64 OS it is impossible to start the application at all.

Victor2030_1-1652089399362.png

The first critical problem is that the application does not support the core isolation that is a standard Win 11 mechanism approved by MS (on Win 10 were no problems). After disabling and reboot, the application not started at all.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Ok, I will Try again.  Only UNLOCKED (X and K) processors are supported by XTU.  There are no H processors, repeat NO H processors in the list.   I do not know where you get your information, but H processors are not supported.

0 Kudos
AndreyCh89
New Contributor I

AlHill, you are completely incompetent ...!
The program supports mobile processors with the H index, although they are not declared! With the help of the program, you can do, for example, undervolting and change the timings of RAM. I did it on an MSI GS65 8RE laptop with an i7-8750h process.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Intel has disabled undervolting because of security concerns.

There is no support for H processors, only X and K.

And, no name calling.   That is against forum rules.

0 Kudos
AndreyCh89
New Contributor I

Something I don't see blocking the voltage drop change in the processor microcode. Microcode 0xEC from 2021-04-28.

ThrottleStop_MCU_ECThrottleStop_MCU_EC

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Talk to techpowerup about their utility.

0 Kudos
AndreyCh89
New Contributor I

I don't need it, but you can post your discussion with him here!

0 Kudos
AndreyCh89
New Contributor I

Similar XTU bugs on Windows 11 have been noticed a lot, on laptop and PC.
On a laptop, it is better to use ThrottleStop as it is more stable.

0 Kudos
TRafay
Beginner

To fix that go to Windows Security click on Device Security and turn off core isolation and then reboot

0 Kudos
kropulus
Beginner

Install the program in windows 8 compatability mode. Then run this program in windows 8 compatibly. It will work.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello AndreyCh89,

If I may interrupt here, I want to let you know that the Intel® XTU is not supported on locked processors, as your i7-8750h. The program only supports unlocked processors, meaning X and K CPUs. Some processors identified with the letter "H" on the list, such as the Intel® Core™ i9-9980HK Processor. However, the processor is a "K" processor, which means that the CPU is Unlocked.

If your processor is not on the list named: "This download is valid for the product(s) listed below."; it indicates that the Intel® XTU will not work on your system. If you want more information regarding the requirements of the Intel® XTU, visit the following article ( https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006636/processors/processor-utilities-and-programs.html).

I wanted to emphasize that AlHill's posts are assertive.

Best regards,

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AndreyCh89
New Contributor I

Hello! 

Previously, I installed XTU v~7.0.1.4 and everything worked perfectly (undervolting, changing the heat package, changing RAM timings). I have not tried to install new versions of XTU since your software is not stable.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@AndreyCh89 As it says on the XTU download page, " Intel XTU may or may not work on unsupported processors."

0 Kudos
AndreyCh89
New Contributor I

@AlHill , the answer wasn't for you!
@AlHill , you'd better post your correspondence here with techpowerup!

0 Kudos
megan3000
Valued Contributor I

The fact that you "were able to use xtu somehow with some functionalities" doesn't mean, and never meant that your "H" mobile CPU was supported...

When they say "not supported" it doesn't mean that "it is 100% impossible" to do something (like installing an unsupported app on "not valid hardware"...), but what it does mean is that there is no guarantee at all from the vendor/manufacturer, developer" and there should be no expectation from the user of having the developer looking into "bugs" on "unsupported scenarios"...

I never understood the "need" to undervolt a laptop's CPU... if you try this because of overheating, throttling, power issues, battery draining fast, etc... you just have a laptop with a bad design, or if the design is "high quality", then you have may a "defective one" (you just unlucky)...

Instead of focusing your energy to complain about a tool (that you know is not officially supported for your mobile CPU), you should be talking with the laptop vendor about the issues you have...

If you don't have any issues and just want to do some tweaks here and there, most BIOS menus have options to do so (when the manufacturer is not cheap and provides a good BIOS UI)... if you're BIOS lacks those settings, complain to the manufacturer...

If you neither have issues nor are interested in doing tweaks, and you just want to monitor behavior, temps, and so... there are plenty of (free) tools out there...

Yes, the "Core Isolation" is a known issue...

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/29183/XTU-7.7.0.12-ReleaseNotes.pdf

But whenever Intel releases a fix for this (if they plan to do so)... the said "fix" will be "guaranteed" to work only for the "list of valid CPUs" which doesn't include your "H" mobile CPU...

0 Kudos
AndreyCh89
New Contributor I

Yes, the "Core Isolation" is a known issue...

But whenever Intel releases a fix for this (if they plan to do so)... the said "fix" will be "guaranteed" to work only for the "list of valid CPUs" which doesn't include your "H" mobile CPU...

Yes, it is possible that new versions of XTU are programmatically blocked from changing the MSR register and on mobile processors the user can only view system information!
The fix of the problem (kernel memory isolation), if ever released, is already good.
What does my mobile processor have to do with it? I haven't used XTU on a laptop for a long time and I'm not going to.

On a PC, XTU does not work because of the MSR register lock. This register is blocked by the linux virtual subsystem and kernel memory isolation.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

@Victor2030,

I hope you are doing fine.

I have not heard back from you. So we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

@AndreyCh89.

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.  

Please submit a new question on the CPU community forums. Provide a detailed explanation of your situation to have a more personalized troubleshooting step for your issue.

Best regards.

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos